Physics Problem Help: Chin-Up Force & Velocity

• Thread starter kavdhaliwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves a person performing a chin-up with a force of 700N, while each arm exerts an upward force of 355N during the first 25.0 cm of the lift. The question asks for the person's velocity at the starting point, given that the upward movement begins from rest. The relevant equations for solving this problem include the work-energy theorem and the formula for gravitational potential energy. It may be helpful to draw a free body diagram and label all the forces involved. From there, you can derive an expression for the final velocity and plug in the given values to solve for the answer.
kavdhaliwal
I am working on a physics problem which states:
A person doing a chin-up 700N exclusive of the arms. During the first 25.0 cm of the lift, each arm exerts an upward force of 355 N on the torso. If the upward movement starts from resdt, what is the person's velocity at this point?

This is probably very basic, but I am having trouble with this whole energy, work, force, tension thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain what you've tried and what equations are relevent. Have you drawn a free body diagram and labeled the forces?

You should have these formulas, derive an expression for final velocity and then plug in your numbers

Kf – Ki + Uf – Ui = Wnc
1/2mVf-1/2Vi+mgyf-mgyi=Wnc

Related to Physics Problem Help: Chin-Up Force & Velocity

1. What is chin-up force and how is it related to velocity?

Chin-up force is the amount of force required to lift oneself while performing a chin-up exercise. It is directly related to velocity, as the faster the person performs the chin-up, the greater the required force will be.

2. How can I calculate the chin-up force and velocity?

To calculate chin-up force, you will need to know your body weight and the time it takes you to perform the chin-up. Divide your body weight by the time in seconds to get the force in Newtons. Velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken.

3. What factors can affect the chin-up force and velocity?

The main factors that can affect chin-up force and velocity are body weight, muscle strength, and speed of execution. Other factors such as grip, body posture, and range of motion can also have an impact.

4. How can I increase my chin-up force and velocity?

To increase chin-up force and velocity, you can focus on building upper body strength through exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, and weightlifting. It is also important to maintain proper form and technique while performing chin-ups to maximize the force and velocity generated.

5. Is there a specific range of chin-up force and velocity that is considered ideal?

There is no specific range of chin-up force and velocity that is considered ideal, as it can vary depending on factors such as body weight and muscle strength. However, aim to gradually increase your chin-up force and velocity over time to improve your overall fitness and strength.