How Do You Calculate the Spring Constant in a Charged Sphere Setup?

In summary, two spheres with a charge of +1.60 uC each are mounted on identical horizontal springs and face each other on a frictionless table. When the spheres are uncharged, the spacing between them is .05m and the springs are unstrained. When charged, the spacing doubles and the springs compress. To determine the spring constant, the force equation (F = (kq1q2)/r^2) and Hooke's law (F = -k_spring x) can be used by finding the amount of compression.
allyson6018
Two spheres are mounted on two different identical horizontal springs and rest on a frictionless table (one spring is connected to the left side of a wall with a sphere attached to the other end & the other sphere is connected to the other spring which is connected to the other wall -- both spheres are facing each other) When the spheres are uncharged, the spacing between them is .05m, and the springs are unstrained. When each sphere has a charge of +1.60 uC, the spacing doubles (springs compress). Assuming that the spheres have a negligible diameter, determine the spring constant of the springs.

Okay so I know F= -kx, F=k [((q1)(q2)) / r^2] but I am not quite sure how to connect the dots...and what would q1 and q2 be? I am confused...

Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
allyson6018 said:
Okay so I know F= -kx, F=k [((q1)(q2)) / r^2] but I am not quite sure how to connect the dots...and what would q1 and q2 be? I am confused...
The charge on each sphere is given. How much does each spring compress?

q1 and q2 are the charges of the spheres, which is +1.60 micro C. r is the distance between the charges, which is double the original spacing between the spheres. Keep in mind that the two k's you have written in the equations above are not the same!

Anyways, you have the force F exerted onto the spheres (from F = (kq1q2)/r^2). Using F = -k_spring x, you can find the spring constant. All you need is x, which is the amount of compression.

Last edited:

1. What is a spring constant in Physics?

A spring constant, also known as spring stiffness, is a measure of the resistance of a spring to being compressed or stretched. It is a physical constant that is unique to each spring and is determined by its material, shape, and size.

2. How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. It is represented by the equation K = F/x, where K is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system. In the English system, it is measured in pounds per inch (lb/in).

4. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of a spring, which affects its behavior. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring that requires more force to compress or stretch, while a lower spring constant means a less stiff spring that can be easily compressed or stretched.

5. How is the spring constant related to Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression. This relationship is represented by the equation F = -Kx, where F is the applied force, K is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. Therefore, the spring constant is an essential component of Hooke's law and helps determine the amount of force needed to deform a spring.