Free-falling Weight and Newtons: A Physics Question for Kids

• Thread starter Clangador
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework question about weight while free falling and the relationship between mass, gravity, and weight. The expert provides an equation for calculating weight while free falling and explains that all objects fall at the same rate in free fall. The conversation also includes a clarification about the question and a lighthearted exchange about commenting too quickly.
Clangador
My son has some science homework for a final this week.

I am not a big physics guy. I studied sociology in college.

Can you help us out with this question(s)?

If you have a scale taped to your feet while standing on top of a building, and you jump off the building, what would your weight be on the scale while free falling? Before jumping, your weight was 120 lbs.

Why are Newtons like weight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight is the product of both mass and gravity.
Thus the reason why it's in Newtons.

Acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2.

Therefore.. your weight while free falling would be:

W (Weight) = m (mass) X g (gravity)
W = 0.12kg X 9.81 m/s^2
W = 1.1772 N

So you would actually weigh something while falling?

I think these were two separate questions on his homework.

k0k said:
W = 1.1772 N

The scale would read zero! All objects fall at the same rate!
If you taped a scale to a mouse in free fall - the scale reads zero
If you taped a scale to a elephant in free fall - the scale reads zero
If you taped a scale to a _______ in free fall - it reads zero.
You get my point

Clangador said:
So you would actually weigh something while falling?

I think these were two separate questions on his homework.

No, his answer is incorrect. If things had different weights in free fall (relative), they would not fall at the same rate.

EDIT: Nevermind. My mistake. Read the question wrong, and didn't notice the word "scale". Haha

k0k said:
EDIT: Nevermind. My mistake.

No problem ;) I comment on here to quickly sometimes as well, then I regret my answer! haha

What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It helps us understand the natural world and how things work.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how everything in the universe works, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies. It also has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine.

What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. There are also many sub-branches and interdisciplinary fields within physics.

How does physics relate to everyday life?

Physics is involved in almost everything we do in our daily lives. It explains the laws of motion and gravity that govern the way objects move, the properties of light and sound that allow us to see and hear, and the principles of electricity and magnetism that power our devices. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials and substances, from the clothes we wear to the food we eat.

What are some famous physicists and their contributions?

Some famous physicists include Albert Einstein, who developed the theory of relativity and the famous equation E=mc^2, Isaac Newton, who formulated the laws of motion and gravity, and Marie Curie, who discovered radioactivity. Other notable physicists include Stephen Hawking, Galileo Galilei, and Niels Bohr. Their contributions have greatly advanced our understanding of the universe and paved the way for new discoveries and technologies.