Physics REUs 2011: Applying & Chances

• Thread starter Spriteling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Notre Dame accepted me.In summary, a lot of people are applying to REUs this year, but it's still competitive. Some people are applying to multiple schools, while others are just applying to one. The best way to increase your odds of getting in is to have a good GPA and research experience.
hadsed, did Rochester send you an actual rejection e-mail? I applied but I haven't heard anything back yet :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know if any REUs take students in between undergrad and grad?

They do not. (Or rather, they are not supposed to)

Cider: I emailed one of the professors I was talking to. I got forwarded to the admissions person, and they told me their positions were just about full. So I would guess if you haven't gotten something yet, you might just assume that you won't get an acceptance. This was a couple of weeks ago as well.

hadsed said:
Jack, that is peculiar. I was under the impression that NASA principal investigators would have already made their decisions before the deadline. I got an email from one at JPL wondering if I was interested in his project, and he told me that the way it works is that they request that the PI's send a list of 5 students ranked from best choice to ...less best choice... and then they would be picking that way (plus remembering after 5 days an offer expires and goes to the next person).

Since I wasn't offered the day after March 15th, I assumed I wasn't going to get an offer.

Also to note, I wasn't accepted to Rochester or RPI. I'm a first year student, if anyone was wondering.

It wouldn't make sense for them to have already made their decisions before everybody's even applied, but I suppose it's possible.

It's starting to look like I'll be selling mattresses again this summer. :(

I received an acceptance from CREOL (UCF Optics) this morning.
Anyone gone through this REU before or know any stories?

New member, first post. I thought I might chime in about my REU experience.

I was accepted by Princeton (PPPL) this year. I also got an offer from JLab. I went with Princeton, and just recently got my placement at General Atomics in San Diego. More than a dream come true! A week at PPPL taking a crash course in Plasma Physics followed by a summer at top-notch research facility...in Cali! (You have to understand, I've spent most of my life in the northeast)

Last year I was in the University of Rochester REU in their optics department. Great experience, lots of interesting people and a solid summers worth of research.

I also research at my home university during the academic year doing some solid state research. My plan is to run the table, and eventually figure out what field I want to be in. Then apply to grad school, get a PhD and hopefully get a job.

With regards to rejection letters. When I applied last year, of the places I received rejections from, only about half of them ever told me and I just assumed that I was rejected from the other ones. This year, in contrast, I have yet to receive a single rejection letter! Just one acceptance that I've already accepted since it was my top choice, and I haven't heard anything from anywhere else.