1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Study in Gap Time after High School Suggestion

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I would like to know if you guys could suggest me what's the best way to fill my free time (six months) between graduating high school and entering university. I will be taking Bachelor of Science with major in Physics. I also have plan to continue my study further if possible. However I don't know exactly what's the best way to spend my free time in the mean time. I really wish I don't forget most of the materials taught in high school. (UK A Level standard)

Should I start to read college introductory text-books such as University Physics and perhaps also mathematical text-books to advance my knowledge? If yes, what are your suggested syllabus? Is it necessary to read through the basic again or should I just follow the syllabus of basic physics undergraduate? (such as those listed in IOP website)

Thank you for your time

P.S: I also want to know what do you think if one takes language or music course in addition to that?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2
    Hi!

I would suggest any introductory college text book, Serway & Jewitt are great. As for course syllabus, you could look on MIT open course where and search for introductory courses to physics (classical) and Calculus 1 classes and work your way from there. They have a great syllabus to follow for each class. Some even have video taped lecture videos. Also, there is nothing wrong with taking a couple electives to switch things up! Goodluck!

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
  5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    Thank you very much guys, I'll surely look at all of the given links. :)

Do any of you has experience in facing the same situation as mine? If yes I'd like to know what did you do also.

6. Jun 20, 2013 #5
    I'm actually in the exact same position as you, given I start university this upcoming fall. In preparation for first year (and just simply for excitement), I am studying directly from first-year calculus, linear algebra and physics textbooks. I hope to at least obtain an overview of the main notions/theorems outlined in these books.

7. Jun 21, 2013 #6
    Alright I'll try to read some of the preliminary materials. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook