Finding a Common Household Toy for Physics Presentation

In summary, the person is seeking ideas for a common household toy to use for a physics presentation. They cannot use certain toys that have already been used by others. Suggestions from others include a slinky, paper airplane, balsa wood airplane, and a demonstration of Bernoulli's principle using a straw, paper clip, and index cards. The person also asks for ideas on a simple demo to illustrate lift and someone suggests using a straw and two index cards to demonstrate Bernoulli's principle.
lalota
Hi everyone... I need help finding a common household toy to use for a physics presentation. Unfortunately, I'm the last person so everyone else has used up a lot of the ideas! I can't use the following:

-Yoyo
-Frisbee
-Bubbles
-Bouncy ball
-skateboard
-helium baloons
-motor car
-water gun
-dart gun
-gyroscope
-marbles
-boomerang
-drinking bird
-football

...ANY ideas would be appreciated. Even if it's "how to do tricks" with a certain toy, that's acceptable too. I'd really need help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Laser guns?

How about a slinky?

What about a "swing"?

Anything with a spring in it. Like a mechanical pencil...

cookiemonster

Paper airplane.
Or one of those balsa wood airplanes with the propeller driven by a rubber band. (They do still make those don't they?)

Thank you all for your replies! I particularly like the paper plane idea, so I will be using that. Now I need a little more help (sorry!) but I'm almost finished. I need to think of another very simple demo to illustrate lift (aside from the actual toy, of course). There was classic one using a straw or something, but I don't really remember it now.

Any ideas will do! Thanks again, you people are wonderful. :)

Card lift with straw - demonstration of Bernoulli’s principle

lalota said:
I need to think of another very simple demo to illustrate lift (aside from the actual toy, of course). There was classic one using a straw or something, but I don't really remember it now.
This one.

• straw
  • paper clip
  • tape
  • two index cards
  • scissors

How to do it

Make a mark on the center of one index card.
    Cut a hole in the center of the index card just large enough to stick the straw through.
    Put the index card flat on the table. Put the straw into the hole.
    Holding onto the straw, tape it to the index card so that it won't move.

Bend the paper clip so that one end is pointing up. Tape the paper clip onto the center of another index card with the end of the paper clip pointing up.

Put the straw and index card over the point of the paper clip, turn the whole thing upside down, so the index cards are on top of the straw, and blow through the straw. The card doesn't blow off the straw.
    Turn the straw and cards over so that they're on the table and you're blowing down. Pick up the straw and top index card. If you keep blowing, both of the cards come with you.

Here's why this phenom works: First you have to remember that there's air all around us and it pushes on everything in all directions. Air is pushing up and down on all sides of these cards.
    Then you have to think about what happens when you blow through the straw. When you blow through the straw you're making air move quickly toward the bottom index card.
    But before the air reaches the bottom card it moves really fast and is able to slip through the little space BETWEEN the two cards. Because the air slips in between the two cards, it doesn't have enough force to push down on the bottom index card.
    Now remember the other air that's pushing on everything in the room, well that air is still pushing along the bottom of the card. And because there's not much air pushing BETWEEN the two cards, the air along the bottom is able to push up and hold the two cards together.

Question 1: What is the purpose of using a household toy for a physics presentation?

The purpose of using a household toy for a physics presentation is to make complex scientific concepts more relatable and understandable. By using a common household toy, it allows the audience to see practical applications of physics in everyday objects.

Question 2: How do I choose the right household toy for my physics presentation?

When choosing a household toy for your physics presentation, consider the scientific principles you want to demonstrate and find a toy that can easily illustrate those concepts. You can also consider the age and interests of your audience to make the presentation more engaging.

Question 3: What are some common household toys that can be used for a physics presentation?

There are many household toys that can be used for a physics presentation, such as yo-yos, slinkies, building blocks, marbles, and toy cars. Other options include hula hoops, balloons, and even paper airplanes.

Question 4: How can I incorporate a household toy into my physics presentation effectively?

To effectively incorporate a household toy into your physics presentation, make sure to explain the scientific principles behind its function and how it relates to the topic you are discussing. You can also demonstrate any experiments or demonstrations using the toy and encourage audience participation.

Question 5: Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a household toy for a physics presentation?

Yes, it is important to consider safety precautions when using a household toy for a physics presentation. Make sure to read and follow all instructions and warnings on the toy's packaging. If conducting experiments, ensure proper safety measures are in place, such as safety goggles and adult supervision for younger audiences. Additionally, consider the age and ability of your audience when choosing a toy and adjust your presentation accordingly.