Physics undergrad -> ph.D Mech E

In summary, the speaker is graduating with a B.Sc. in physics and will begin their Ph.D. studies in mechanical engineering with a focus on materials. They are seeking advice on the transition and any difficulties others may have faced in a similar situation. They did not receive a response in an academic forum and are now asking for input in this conversation. The speaker believes their background in physics may be beneficial and their research will focus on material fatigue and the growth of microscopic cracks.
awri
So I will graduate in a few weeks with a B.Sc. in physics and I will begin my phD studies in the fall in mechanical engineering. Paticularly, my research will be in materials. Can anyone shed some light on this transition? I understand that there will be loads of work and some makeup classes, etc. What I am really interested in, is has anyone done this before? What was most difficult? How did you cope with not being from an Mech E undergrad dept?

I Asked this in the academic forum awhile ago and got no responce so I am asking in here this time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think it will be half as bad as you think. Because you did physics, you might be better off.

Depending on what aspect of materials you are focusing in, your probably won't even be tell that you're getting a degree in ME and not physics.

I believe my research is in the area of material fatigue. Something along the lines of how microscopic cracks grow and expand and cause breakdown...

1. What is the difference between a physics undergraduate degree and a Ph.D in mechanical engineering?

A physics undergraduate degree focuses on the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy, while a Ph.D in mechanical engineering is a specialized degree that applies those principles to the design, development, and analysis of mechanical systems.

2. What are the typical requirements for admission into a Ph.D program in mechanical engineering?

The specific requirements may vary by institution, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's or master's degree in engineering, physics, or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a competitive GPA, and a high score on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination).

3. Can I pursue a Ph.D in mechanical engineering with a non-engineering background?

While it may be possible, it is not common to pursue a Ph.D in mechanical engineering with a non-engineering background. Most programs require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, which are typically obtained through an undergraduate degree in engineering or a related field.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Ph.D in mechanical engineering?

The length of a Ph.D program can vary depending on the individual's progress and research topic, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and the writing and defense of a dissertation.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Ph.D in mechanical engineering?

A Ph.D in mechanical engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and energy. Graduates may work in research and development, product design, consulting, or academia as professors or researchers.