1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics undergrad to Optics grad

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    I was wondering if there was any particular difficulty in going from a Physics undergraduate program to graduate program in Optics/Photonics. Let's say to an Optics college such as the one at UCF (http://www.creol.ucf.edu/)

I still have my upper level Physics classes to take so is there any information I should be aware of for applying?

Is there any kind of information out there for the competitiveness for Optics/Photonics programs?

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2
    I know 3 people who finished a BS in physics with the Optics specialization from UCF that were all accepted to CREOL with GPA's in the 3.7 range and some minor research. I'm a third year student in the same degree program and I have talked to many grad students and faculty there who advised me that it would be wise to at least take some of the upper-level optics courses outlined in the undergraduate catalog for physics' specialization section.

Send me a pm if you have any other questions, I can just go there and ask them (if you don't live close by), it would benefit me as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook