Physics Word Problem: Arrow and moving target collision

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the unknown variables in a problem involving the velocity of a target and arrow combination after a collision. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations for conservation of momentum and solving for the unknown variables. However, there are some errors and confusion in the approach and further clarification is needed.
phantom lancer
Physics.jpg
Physics.jpg

Homework Statement

Find the 2 unknown variables.[/B]

Homework Equations

Am I doing this right? Can someone help me find the solution?[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

To compute for the velocity of the target/arrow combination immediately after the collision:
M_bV_{bi}=M_bV_{bf}+M_wV_{wf}
M_bV_{bf}=M_bV_{bf}-M_w-M_wV_{wf}
V_{bf}=\frac M_bV_{bi}-M_wV_{wf} M_b
V_{af}=\frac M_aV_{ai}-M_tV_{tf} M_a
V_{af}=\frac M_aV_{ai}-M_i M_a

V_{af}=\frac (0.323)(23 m/s)+(0.52 kg) (0.323 kg)
V_{af)=26.6 m/s down

To compute for velocity of the target/arrow combination just before it strikes the ground.

v=6.5 m/s - (9.8 m/s^2)[/B]

Attachments

• Physics.jpg
    Physics.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,112
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain a little better what you have done? The lack of proper LaTeX coding and the symbols that you use make your strategy hard to discern. Clearly you are attempting to conserve momentum through the collision, but I see no calculation of the target's speed just before the collision. What is the meaning of 23 m/s? It cannot be the speed of the target because it has to be less than 15 m/s and it cannot be the speed of the arrow because it is given as 25 m/s. Also, the last equation seems to subtract an acceleration from a velocity. That cannot be.

I inserted double hashes (#) to turn on the LaTeX engine, and some {} braces as necessary, but could not make sense of the last line.
The second line is also clearly wrong.
phantom lancer said:
##M_bV_{bi}=M_bV_{bf}+M_wV_{wf}##
##M_bV_{bf}=M_bV_{bf}-M_w-M_wV_{wf}##
##V_{bf}=\frac {M_bV_{bi}-M_wV_{wf}}{ M_b}##
##V_{af}=\frac {M_aV_{ai}-M_tV_{tf}} {M_a}##
V_{af}=\frac M_aV_{ai}-M_i M_a

1. How do you calculate the speed of the arrow and the moving target in the collision?

To calculate the speed of the arrow and the moving target in the collision, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it takes for the arrow to hit the target.

2. How does the mass of the arrow and the moving target affect the collision?

The mass of the arrow and the moving target affect the collision by determining the momentum and kinetic energy of each object. The more massive an object is, the more momentum and energy it will have, resulting in a greater impact during the collision.

3. What role does gravity play in the collision between the arrow and the moving target?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the collision between the arrow and the moving target. It affects the trajectory of the arrow as it travels towards the target and also determines the force of impact when the arrow hits the target.

4. How can you determine the angle at which the arrow should be shot to hit the moving target?

To determine the angle at which the arrow should be shot to hit the moving target, you can use the equation tanθ = vy/vx, where θ is the angle, vy is the vertical velocity of the target, and vx is the horizontal velocity of the target. This will give you the angle at which the arrow should be shot to successfully hit the target.

5. What other factors besides speed and mass should be considered in this collision?

Besides speed and mass, other factors that should be considered in this collision include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the type of material the target is made of. These factors can affect the trajectory and behavior of the arrow and the target during the collision.