Calculating Forces and Work Done on a Piano Sliding Down an Incline

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline Piano
In summary: So the work done by the friction force would be: \mu m g \cos \theta + 4.6 m \cos \theta = 0.40(300)(9.8) = 451.55 N
confusedaboutphysics
A 300 kg piano slides 4.6 m down a 30° incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40.
(a) Calculate the force exerted by the man.

i got F = mu(k)mgcos(angle) + mgsin(angle) = 0
so F = .40(300)(9.8)cos(30) + 300(9.8)sin(30) = 451.55N

(b) Calculate the work done by the man on the piano.
(c) Calculate the work done by the friction force.
(d) What is the work done by the force of gravity?
(e) What is the net work done on the piano?

ok so I'm having problems with parts b and c. I thought I could use the equation W = FD for part b. so W = 451.55(4.6) = 2077.13 J. is 4.6m d? help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
confusedaboutphysics said:
(a) Calculate the force exerted by the man.
i got F = mu(k)mgcos(angle) + mgsin(angle) = 0
so F = .40(300)(9.8)cos(30) + 300(9.8)sin(30) = 451.55N
Careful. What are the directions of the forces?

Edit: Your answer is correct, but your equation is not. You must have copied it wrong.

Last edited:
Hi!

Now, the piano is moving downward along the incline but the force exerted by the man is upward along the incline. Hence, work done by the man is negative.

You are right in saying that d= 4.6m, as the line of action of the man's force and the motion of the piano are parallel, but you'll need to add a negative sign in front of your answer for part (b).

The same goes for part (c), as frictional force is opposite to the piano's motion!

Hope this helps!

thanks guys! i understand b now..but I'm still stuck on c. is this the right equation for part c? Wfr = Ffr (dcos30) = .40(300)(-9.8) (4.6cos30) = 4684.85 J?

How far is the contact-point of the F_fr displaced?
Is this F_fr parallel, anti-parallel, or at 30 deg to dx?

isn't the surface Normal Force = m g cos30 ?

Hi!

Your final answer seems correct, but why do you have the expression "(4.6cos30)"?

This seems to imply that you are taking a component of the distance traveled by the piano, which does not seem right, as the direction of motion of the piano is parallel (though in opposite direction to) the frictional force.

Instead, the cos30 is meant for taking the component of the piano's weight which is perpendicular to the incline, to be used later in calculating the frictional force.

Hope you get what I mean...

confusedaboutphysics said:
..but I'm still stuck on c. is this the right equation for part c? Wfr = Ffr (dcos30) = .40(300)(-9.8) (4.6cos30) = 4684.85 J?
While your answer is correct (except for the sign), the way you've grouped your factors doesn't make sense. The work done by any force is just force times the displacement parallel to that force. The friction force (which you calculated to solve part a) is [itex]\mu m g \cos \theta[/itex] acting up the incline; the displacement is given as 4.6 m down the incline.

1. How do you calculate the force on a piano sliding down an incline?

The force on a piano sliding down an incline can be calculated using the formula F = mg*sin(theta), where F is the force, m is the mass of the piano, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the work done on a piano sliding down an incline?

The work done on a piano sliding down an incline is equal to the force multiplied by the distance traveled. This can be calculated using the formula W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance traveled.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the force and work done on a piano sliding down?

The angle of the incline affects the force and work done on a piano sliding down because it determines the component of the force due to gravity that is parallel to the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the force and work done also increase.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate the force and work done on any object sliding down an incline?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the force and work done on any object sliding down an incline, as long as the mass and angle of the incline are known.

5. How do you account for friction when calculating the force and work done on a piano sliding down an incline?

To account for friction, you would need to use the formula F = (mg*sin(theta)) - Ff, where F is the force, m is the mass of the piano, g is the acceleration due to gravity, theta is the angle of the incline, and Ff is the force of friction. This would result in a lower force and work done due to the added resistance from friction.