1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Picosecond laser triggering

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    Hi guys, so I'm at my wit's end. I'm trying to measure fluorescence/phosphorescence lifetime. I have a laser pumping at 532nm and it's pulsed at 25 picoseconds. I also have a ICCD/spectrometer.
    Here's the problem: Currently I'm using the spectrometer triggered internally with a gate pulse width ~100us. I can also trigger externally (with slightly less success..but still good enough) (laser is triggering the spectrometer). Now, since I'm trying to do fluorescence measurements I need to cut the gate width pulse down into the ns range (preferably in the 100s of nanoseconds). When I do this, though, my signal/spectrum drops down to nothing.

I need to make the gate width pulse lower because I will then do a measurement that adds a few nanoseconds delay to the start of each intensity reading. Then by measuring the drop in intensity over a period of about 100ns (measured every 2ns or so) I can figure out the decay constant (aka lifetime).

Anyone ever solve this problem before or have an idea? It's for an REU and the grad students/professor have no clue.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted