Picosecond laser triggering

• Thread starter flyfishing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary: Good luck! In summary, the speaker is experiencing difficulty in measuring fluorescence/phosphorescence lifetime with a setup involving a laser, ICCD/spectrometer, and a gate pulse. They are looking for a way to decrease the gate pulse width and seeking advice on how to solve this issue. Some possible solutions include using a shorter gate pulse width and external triggering, adjusting sensitivity settings, and consulting with other experts in the field. The speaker is determined to find a solution and wishes the best of luck to others facing similar challenges in their research.
flyfishing
Hi guys, so I'm at my wit's end. I'm trying to measure fluorescence/phosphorescence lifetime. I have a laser pumping at 532nm and it's pulsed at 25 picoseconds. I also have a ICCD/spectrometer.
Here's the problem: Currently I'm using the spectrometer triggered internally with a gate pulse width ~100us. I can also trigger externally (with slightly less success..but still good enough) (laser is triggering the spectrometer). Now, since I'm trying to do fluorescence measurements I need to cut the gate width pulse down into the ns range (preferably in the 100s of nanoseconds). When I do this, though, my signal/spectrum drops down to nothing.

I need to make the gate width pulse lower because I will then do a measurement that adds a few nanoseconds delay to the start of each intensity reading. Then by measuring the drop in intensity over a period of about 100ns (measured every 2ns or so) I can figure out the decay constant (aka lifetime).

Anyone ever solve this problem before or have an idea? It's for an REU and the grad students/professor have no clue.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I understand your frustration and the difficulty in trying to measure fluorescence/phosphorescence lifetime. It sounds like you have a good setup with a laser pumping at 532nm and a ICCD/spectrometer. However, it seems like the issue lies in the gate pulse width and triggering.

One possible solution to your problem could be to use a shorter gate pulse width and external triggering. This will allow for a faster and more precise measurement of the decay constant. Additionally, you may want to check the sensitivity settings on your spectrometer to make sure it is optimized for the shorter gate pulse width.

Another option could be to use a different type of detector, such as a photomultiplier tube (PMT), which is known for its fast response time and high sensitivity. This may help with the drop in signal when using a shorter gate pulse width.

It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or researchers in the field who have experience with similar measurements. They may have some insights or suggestions on how to overcome this issue.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and wish you the best of luck with your REU project. Keep persevering and don't be afraid to try different approaches until you find a solution that works for you. Science is all about problem-solving and learning from challenges.

1. What is a picosecond laser?

A picosecond laser is a type of laser that emits pulses of light that are measured in picoseconds, or one trillionth of a second. This makes them incredibly fast and precise, making them useful for a variety of scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does a picosecond laser work?

Picosecond lasers work by using a process called mode-locking, which involves synchronizing the laser's output to create extremely short pulses of light. This allows for a high peak power and short pulse duration, making them ideal for precise and controlled laser triggering.

3. What is the purpose of picosecond laser triggering?

Picosecond laser triggering is used to initiate a reaction or process in a sample or material with extreme precision and control. It can be used in various fields such as material science, biology, and chemistry for applications such as cutting, ablation, and imaging.

4. What are the advantages of using a picosecond laser for triggering?

Picosecond laser triggering offers several advantages over other triggering methods. These include high precision, fast response time, minimal heat damage to the sample, and the ability to trigger specific reactions or processes without affecting the surrounding material.

5. What are some common applications of picosecond laser triggering?

Picosecond laser triggering has a wide range of applications, including material processing, precision machining, medical imaging, and spectroscopy. It can also be used in research and development for studying ultrafast phenomena and in industrial settings for quality control and production processes.