Piecewise Function Homework: Solve Fourier Coefficient b1

In summary, the student is trying to find the Fourier coefficient b1 for a periodic signal. They are unsure about one of the variables, the "t" function. They have done the series 4-5 times and gotten the wrong answer. They think the function they wrote is wrong. They are trying to find a different function to use. They understand that the Fourier coefficient b1 is affected by the times, but they plan to re-do the task tomorrow using the times actually on the paper.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

Given the following periodic signal:
2ztbmu8.jpg

What is the Fourier coefficient b1.

I'm not asking for help with the Fourier series. I feel my integration is solid.

What I need help with is creating the correct function!

The Attempt at a Solution

I first declare t=5 as now to be t=0, and T=6 becomes t=2, etc. Am I allowed to do this? It also seems a bit iffy because the period starts at t=4...

f(t) =
1, 0<t<1
t, 1<t<2

This gives me, as far as I can tell, the correct values for 0<t<2, compared to the graph.

Unsure about the "t" function there...

I am doubting whether this is correct, me and a friend have done the series 4-5 times now using this function, and we get the wrong answer, so we think the function we wrote is wrong.

Can somebody help me make sense of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(t) =
1 for t in the interval of [1+4(t-1), 2+4(t-1)]
etc.

DrOnline said:

Homework Statement

Given the following periodic signal:
2ztbmu8.jpg

What is the Fourier coefficient b1.

I'm not asking for help with the Fourier series. I feel my integration is solid.

What I need help with is creating the correct function!

The Attempt at a Solution

I first declare t=5 as now to be t=0, and T=6 becomes t=2, etc. Am I allowed to do this? It also seems a bit iffy because the period starts at t=4...

f(t) =
1, 0<t<1
t, 1<t<2

Don't forget ##f(t)=0,~2<t<4##.

This gives me, as far as I can tell, the correct values for 0<t<2, compared to the graph.

Unsure about the "t" function there...

I am doubting whether this is correct, me and a friend have done the series 4-5 times now using this function, and we get the wrong answer, so we think the function we wrote is wrong.

Can somebody help me make sense of this?

I don't understand the ##1.5## on your picture. But if you calculate the FS for the above function on ##(0,4)## extended periodically, it will converge to the required graph. But the function you are using and the one given are not the same since they disagree for the same value of ##t##. One is a translated version of the other and the FS may not look the same.

The 1.5 is the average value of the interval from "my" 1 to 2, I wrote that to demonstrate how to calculate the average of the function value to a friend.

You tell me to not forget the interval between 2 and 4, but they do not matter, because they will integrate to zero, this is how I see it. I know it is an inaccurate way when I describe the piecewise function, but I only listed the ones relevant for the FS. I do account for them in the period variables when I do the calculations.

My task is only to find the Fourier coefficient b1, so I don't know if that is affected by me messing with the times.

Tomorrow I think I will re-do this and using the times actually on the paper, use the first period, 1 to 4.

f(t)=
0, 0<t<1
1, 1<t<2
-1+t, 2<t<3
0, 3<t<4

I think I understand what you mean about messing with the times, perhaps it make the actual FS not match the actual graph as asked for in the task.

Related to Piecewise Function Homework: Solve Fourier Coefficient b1

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by multiple sub-functions, each of which applies to a different interval of the function's domain. This allows for a single function to have different behaviors over different parts of its domain.

2. What is a Fourier coefficient?

A Fourier coefficient is a number that represents the contribution of a specific frequency to a periodic function. These coefficients are used in Fourier analysis to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies.

3. What is b1 in a Fourier series?

b1 is the Fourier coefficient for the fundamental frequency in a Fourier series. It represents the amplitude of the sine component of the function.

4. How do you solve for b1 in a piecewise function?

To solve for b1 in a piecewise function, you first need to determine the different intervals of the function and the corresponding sub-functions. Then, you can use the formula for the Fourier coefficient b1, which is given by the integral of the product of the function and the sine of the fundamental frequency over the interval. You will need to evaluate this integral for each interval and then sum up the results to find the final value of b1.

5. Why is it important to solve for Fourier coefficients in a piecewise function?

Solving for Fourier coefficients allows us to better understand the behavior of a piecewise function. It helps us to identify the contribution of different frequencies to the overall function and can also be used to approximate the function using a finite number of terms in the Fourier series. This can be useful in many applications, such as signal processing, where it is important to represent a function with a finite number of components.