Pinky & The Brain: What Does "1/10 Time" Mean?

• Medical
  • Thread starter raolduke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the article discusses how a mouse's brain is run at 1/10th of the speed it would run in realtime, and how this might affect the power of a simulated brain.
raolduke
I just heard about this last night and I find it interesting -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6600965.stm"
They ran it at 1/10 time? Can someone please explain to me what this means?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Great article! Your question it says right in the article actually.
at a speed ten times slower than real life - the equivalent of one second in a real mouse brain.

I am sorry I don't know how to read...

Does this mean that its 1/10 as powerful as a mouses brain?

no it means that it is run 1/10th of what it would normally run in realtime.
REmember in simulations you can run the simulation faster/slower than how it would occur in an observable experiments("realtime")...

faster: meaning you assume a lot more things and take a lot more approximations
slower: you try to be as numerically/spatially accurate as possible.

For example if u were to run the projectile motion of a hockey puck...each time frame u generate could represent "t" nanosecs of the event and if you generated "n" time frames in which each time frame takes "tc" you will have captured "n*t" nanoseconds of realtime in "tc*n*t" nanoseconds of computational time.

The power of the simulated brain as opposed to the real mouse brain will be determined by the size of teh brains and what the simulated brain can do...though you can also incorporate the ratio of teh time it takes for each to process ...but if the simulated brain can fully emulate the mouse brain then one could say it is equally as powerful.

I wonder if that project is part of the BlueBrain project?

Thank you neuro. I believe it is part of the BlueBrain project or very early stages into creating an actual human brain.

What is "1/10 Time" in Pinky & The Brain?

"1/10 Time" is a phrase used by Brain, the main character in the animated series Pinky & The Brain. It refers to his plan to take over the world within 1/10th of the time that it would normally take him.

Why does Brain use the term "1/10 Time" in his plans?

Brain is a highly intelligent and ambitious mouse who is constantly trying to take over the world. He uses the term "1/10 Time" to showcase his confidence and determination in achieving his goals in a shorter amount of time than others would expect.

How does Pinky respond to Brain's use of "1/10 Time" in their plans?

Pinky, Brain's sidekick, often responds to Brain's use of "1/10 Time" with his catchphrase "Narf!", indicating his usual cluelessness and silliness. Pinky's playful and carefree nature often serves as a foil to Brain's serious and calculated plans.

Does Brain ever succeed in his plans within "1/10 Time"?

As the show's title suggests, Brain's plans are often foiled by his own sidekick Pinky, leading to their failure to take over the world within "1/10 Time." However, there have been a few instances where Brain's plans have been successful, but they are often short-lived and ultimately result in failure.

Is "1/10 Time" a realistic concept in terms of taking over the world?

No, "1/10 Time" is a fictional concept and is not a realistic goal for taking over the world. It is used for comedic effect in the show and should not be taken seriously in real life.