Piston problem ( closed system )

In summary, a piston cylinder arrangement is loaded with a linear spring and atmospheric pressure. The mass of the piston head is calculated to be 2520 Kg. Heat is added causing the volume to double and the new pressure is 240KPa. The concept of "air blobs" in this transformation is unclear and further explanation is needed. In the second question, the transformation is assumed to be reversible and a plot is requested in the (V,p) plane. The spring constant is necessary to determine p2 and all other parameters can be calculated assuming an ideal gas.
Abdlellah

Homework Statement

1. A piston cylinder arrangement ( A = 0.25 m^2, P1= 200 KPa, V1= 0.05 m^3. is loaded with a linear spring. in the current configuration the spring exerts no force on the piston head. if the atmospheric pressure is 101 KPa, what is the mass of the piston head. Heat is now added casing the bolume to double, what is the new pressure? how many air Blobs( mean this closed system) do we encounter in this transformation?

I calculated and my answer is mass =2520 Kg .
P2= 240KPa
the third part (how many air Blobs( we named the closed system as blob) do we encounter in this transformation?) i don't understand it at all i need help in it ...
======================================…
this is the 2nd question i don't understand it at all what i have to do and what's the x-axis and y axis

2. assume that our transformation in problem 1 is reversible. in the (V,p) plane, plot the transformation between the initial and final states ( hint: solve our force balance equation for p, tnow substitute for y= V/A if you have not already done so this will give pressure as a function of volume: p=p(V) where all other parameters are constant. Plot p(V) !)

please please help XD

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I had posted on this before.

I said then, and I repeat now, that the spring constant (k = Δp/ΔV) must be known to determine p2.

Once k is known, all parameters can be computed, including T2, p2, ΔU, W and Q, ideal gas assumed.

The mass is correctly computed (actually 2523 kg).

The only blob I know of is the one in the 1958 indie movie with Steve McQueen ...

1. What is a "piston problem" in a closed system?

A "piston problem" in a closed system refers to a scenario where a piston is used to compress a gas within a sealed container, causing changes in the pressure, temperature, and volume of the gas. This type of problem is commonly used in thermodynamics to study the behavior of gases.

2. How do you solve a piston problem in a closed system?

To solve a piston problem in a closed system, you will need to use the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the ideal gas law, to calculate the changes in pressure, temperature, and volume of the gas. You will also need to consider the properties of the gas, such as its molar mass and specific heat, to accurately solve the problem.

3. What are the key assumptions made in solving a piston problem in a closed system?

Some key assumptions made in solving a piston problem in a closed system include assuming the gas is an ideal gas, neglecting any external forces or energy, and assuming the piston moves without friction. These assumptions allow for simpler calculations and provide a good approximation for real-world scenarios.

4. How does the behavior of the gas change in a piston problem in a closed system?

In a piston problem in a closed system, the behavior of the gas changes as the volume, pressure, and temperature of the gas change. As the piston compresses the gas, the volume decreases, causing an increase in pressure and temperature. Similarly, as the piston expands, the volume increases, leading to a decrease in pressure and temperature.

5. What are some real-world applications of piston problems in closed systems?

Piston problems in closed systems have many real-world applications, such as in the design of engines and refrigeration systems. They are also used in the study of weather patterns and atmospheric conditions. Additionally, piston problems can be used to analyze the performance of various industrial processes, such as in chemical reactions and power generation.