Plane Mirror - Distance to Focus for Clear Selfie

In summary, the distance the camera needs to be from the plane mirror to focus and capture a clear image of the person is 6.1 meters, as the person's image appears 2 times the distance of their actual distance from the mirror.
Jess_18033152

Homework Statement

Suppose that you want to take a mirror selfie, standing 3.05 m in front of a plane mirror.

Calculate the distance that the camera will focus to, to get a clearly focused image of your beautiful self.

Homework Equations

d0 = di

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be correct in saying that the distance the camera needs to be to focus is the same distance as the said person is already standing from the plane mirror? So the answer would be 3.05m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jess_18033152 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that you want to take a mirror selfie, standing 3.05 m in front of a plane mirror.

Calculate the distance that the camera will focus to, to get a clearly focused image of your beautiful self.

Homework Equations

d0 = di

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be correct in saying that the distance the camera needs to be to focus is the same distance as the said person is already standing from the plane mirror? So the answer would be 3.05m?
What is di? The distance of what from what? Where is the camera? How far from the mirror?

ehild said:
What is di? The distance of what from what? Where is the camera? How far from the mirror?

All I've been given for this question is what I gave you.
di is the distance the image is seen from the mirror. The camera is held by the said person taking the picture. I assume distance from the mirror to focus?

Jess_18033152 said:
All I've been given for this question is what I gave you.
di is the distance the image is seen from the mirror. The camera is held by the said person taking the picture. I assume distance from the mirror to focus?
If it is a real object, the camera had to be focused at the distance of the object. Now, the object is your mirror image, and you hold the camera, close to your eyes. How far is the camera from the object now?

ehild said:
If it is a real object, the camera had to be focused at the distance of the object. Now, the object is your mirror image, and you hold the camera, close to your eyes. How far is the camera from the object now?
Would this mean that I need to use the following equation instead?

1/d0 + 1/di = 1/f ?

No, the problem does not ask where the image with the camera will be. It asks how far it "feels" the object. And the object is behind the mirror, your mirror image.
You stand in front of a plane mirror, at d distance from it, You see your image behind the mirror. How far from the mirror does your image appear?
Just try, see yourself in a mirror. Walk closer to the mirror, what happens with your image?
Do you have a camera which shows distance? Stand 1 m far from the mirror, focus the camera at your mirror image and see, at what distance your image on the camera is sharp.

ehild said:
No, the problem does not ask where the image with the camera will be. It asks how far it "feels" the object. And the object is behind the mirror, your mirror image.
You stand in front of a plane mirror, at d distance from it, You see your image behind the mirror. How far from the mirror does your image appear?
Just try, see yourself in a mirror. Walk closer to the mirror, what happens with your image?
Do you have a camera which shows distance? Stand 1 m far from the mirror, focus the camera at your mirror image and see, at what distance your image on the camera is sharp.

The image is 2 x the distance from the mirror so my answer would be
2 x 3.05 = 6.1 m

Jess_18033152 said:
The image is 2 x the distance from the mirror object so my answer would be
2 x 3.05 = 6.1 m
Your image is at the same distance from the mirror as your distance is, as you wrote in the OP that di = do. But your result is correct now.

What is a plane mirror?

A plane mirror is a flat, smooth surface that reflects light rays in a predictable manner. It is typically made of glass and has a silver or aluminum coating on one side.

How does the distance between an object and a plane mirror affect the image?

The distance between an object and a plane mirror does not affect the size or orientation of the image. However, it does affect the position of the image. The closer the object is to the mirror, the closer the image will be to the mirror as well.

What is the relationship between object distance and image distance in a plane mirror?

In a plane mirror, the object distance and image distance are equal. This means that if an object is 20 centimeters away from the mirror, the image will also be 20 centimeters away from the mirror.

Can a plane mirror produce a real image?

No, a plane mirror can only produce a virtual image. This means that the light rays reflected from the mirror appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror, creating the illusion of an image.

How can I calculate the distance between an object and its image in a plane mirror?

You can use the mirror equation, which states that the object distance (do), image distance (di), and focal length (f) are related by the equation: 1/do + 1/di = 1/f. You can rearrange this equation to solve for the image distance or use a ruler to measure the distance between the object and its image.