Plane Wave Equation Propagation and Oscillation Directions

In summary: The electric field is amplitude-less and travels perpendicular to the x y z plane. The wave number is determined by the medium's index of refraction and the wave velocity. The electric field is always directed towards the positive x y z plane.
DrPapper

Homework Statement

Write down the equation for a plane wave traveling in perpendicular to the plane x+y+z=constant traveling in the direction of increasing x, y, and z.

Homework Equations

From the given information how do I determine the unit vector that goes next to E(0)? How do I determine the r vector in the exp?

The Attempt at a Solution

My present solution is:

E=E(0)(X/sqrt3+Y/sqrt3+Z/sqrt3)exp^i[nk((x+y+z)/sqrt3)-wt] Sorry I can't seem to get latex to work so this isn't such a mess to look at.

The n is the index of refraction.

The k is the wave number in a medium with index n.

My reasoning is since the wave is traveling perpendicular to the x y z plane all values are positive for the direction the field oscillates in. The wave proceeds in the positive directions so the exponent has all positive values. I'll enclose a picture of my solution to make it easier. It's the Problem 2. Part 3. I'm uncertain of all my answers, but knowing how to do three will definitely tell me how to do 2.2 Thanks in advance. :D

Attachments

• wave.jpg
    wave.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
You put double-dollar signs either side of display math to get latex to render (and double hash for inline math)
Thus ##\LaTeX2e##

Start by writing the general form for a plane wave with general wave vector ##\vec k##

From what you've written, the wave iscillates in the E dimension... it may take positive or negative values in that direction... about some equilibrium value usually taken as E=0.

Likes DrPapper
Thank you for your response Simon. I believe what you're telling is is to first write

$$E=E_0 e^i(\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t)$$

Where $$\vec k = (x_1\vec x + x_2\vec y + x_3\vec z) $$ is the Euclidean direction vector with coefficients of $$x_n$$ to the unit vectors.

I don't understand what is meant when you say "From what you've written, the wave oscillates in the E dimension". I'm thinking you're saying I've written it such that the wave oscillates in a dimension that does not exist? Or is there some E dimension I'm missing? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm a bit lost in this course so it very well could be there's something called the E dimension. Would you please expand on that a bit more?

Also, are you referring to what I've written in the photo or in typeset? The typed part is pretty wonky, and looking at it again it is not what I'd actually written as my response, would you please check the picture (if you've not already). Or I can re-do it in latex if that's preferable - just takes me some time to type it all out since I'm not very experienced with latex.

Again, thank you for your time and help.

I try to avoid pics.

You have written a wave in E, in post #1, ... what physical quantity does this letter represent (you didn't say)?
##\vec E## is usually the electric field vector... this does usually have a direction in space which you will have to deduce from the physics of electric fields but not all waves oscillate in a physical direction... i.e. pressure or particle density.

The equations in post #3 are, indeed, what I had in mind.
Considering your problem statement, what is ##\vec k## going to be in this case?

Note: latex a^{b(c+d)} gets you ##a^{b(c+d)}##
... in general put curley brackets around everything you want to get grouped together.

I was trying to write that my attempt at the solution is:

$$E=E_0(\frac{\hat x + \hat y + \hat z }{\sqrt 3})e^i(nK_0(\frac{x+y+z}{ \sqrt 3})-\omega t)$$

where

$$E_0$$ is just the amplitude of the electric field

n is the index of refraction for a material

$$K_0$$ is the wave number of when in the material having an index of n

LOL I should have just started with latex.

Darn it, I did it wrong again:

$$E=E_0(\frac{\hat x + \hat y + \hat z}{ \sqrt 3})e^{i(nK_0(\frac{x+y+z}{ \sqrt 3})-\omega t)}$$

1. What is the plane wave equation?

The plane wave equation is a mathematical representation of a plane wave, which is a type of electromagnetic wave that propagates in a straight line with constant amplitude and frequency. The equation describes the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields of the wave and how they change over time and space.

2. How does the plane wave equation describe wave propagation?

The plane wave equation uses the concept of a wave vector, which represents the direction and magnitude of the wave's propagation. By plugging in different values for the wave vector, the equation can describe how the wave propagates in different directions and at different speeds.

3. What is the role of oscillation directions in the plane wave equation?

Oscillation directions refer to the directions in which the electric and magnetic fields of a plane wave oscillate. The plane wave equation includes terms for both the electric and magnetic components of the wave, and the oscillation directions determine the relative amplitudes of these fields.

4. How do changes in the wave vector affect the plane wave equation?

Changes in the wave vector, such as changes in direction or magnitude, result in changes to the plane wave equation. These changes can affect the propagation and oscillation directions of the wave, as well as the wave's amplitude and frequency.

5. What are some real-world applications of the plane wave equation?

The plane wave equation is used in a variety of fields, including optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different media, such as light passing through a lens or sound waves reflecting off of surfaces.