Calculating Relative Phase of Reflected Plane Waves in Lossless Materials

In summary, when calculating the relative phase of reflected/transmitted fields for normally incident plane waves, the reflection coefficient should include both the change in amplitude and phase. If the material is lossless, the only phase shift that will occur is a 180 degree phase shift with PEC under certain conditions. If the material has low conductivity, it can be assumed to be lossless.
mathplease
not relating to any specific homework question:

how can i go about calculating the relative phase of reflected / transmitted fields for normally incident plane waves?

for example, i know how to calculate the relative amplitude of the reflected field from the reflection coefficient:

[tex]\Gamma[/tex] = Er/Ei = ([tex]\eta[/tex]2-[tex]\eta[/tex]1)/([tex]\eta[/tex]2+[tex]\eta[/tex]1)

however, what if i want to calculate the relative phase?

Science news on Phys.org
The reflection coefficient should include the change in amplitude and phase. You can get phase shifts if you are talking about lossy materials but given your expression for the reflection coefficient I think you are probably only dealing with lossless materials at the moment. If you are only talking about lossless dielectrics and PEC, then the only phase shift you will get is a 180 degree phase shift with PEC under the appropriate conditions to cancel out the field on the surface.

Born2bwire said:
The reflection coefficient should include the change in amplitude and phase. You can get phase shifts if you are talking about lossy materials but given your expression for the reflection coefficient I think you are probably only dealing with lossless materials at the moment. If you are only talking about lossless dielectrics and PEC, then the only phase shift you will get is a 180 degree phase shift with PEC under the appropriate conditions to cancel out the field on the surface.

ah i see. if the conductivity of the material is low can i assume it to be lossless material?

1. What is a plane wave?

A plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a flat wavefront and travels in a single direction. It is characterized by its constant amplitude and phase, and is described mathematically by a sinusoidal function.

2. What is the difference between incident, reflected, and transmitted plane waves?

An incident plane wave is the original wave that is directed towards a boundary or interface. A reflected plane wave is the wave that bounces off the boundary and travels back in the opposite direction. A transmitted plane wave is the portion of the incident wave that passes through the boundary and continues to travel in its original direction.

3. How is the angle of reflection related to the angle of incidence for plane waves?

According to the law of reflection, the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence. This means that the incident and reflected waves will have the same angle with respect to the boundary or interface.

4. What happens to the amplitude and phase of a reflected plane wave?

The amplitude of a reflected plane wave is typically less than the incident wave due to energy being lost during reflection. The phase of the reflected wave may also be shifted depending on the properties of the boundary or interface.

5. How can the reflection coefficient be used to describe the reflection of plane waves?

The reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of the incident wave is reflected at a boundary or interface. It is equal to the ratio of the reflected amplitude to the incident amplitude, and can be used to calculate the amplitude and phase of the reflected wave.