Why does the pulse related to the inverted phase travel to the right?

In summary, the conversation discusses reflections on a fixed end in relation to the general solution for the wave equation. The boundary condition is y(0,t)=0, leading to the conclusion that the pulse related to the second term in the solution travels to the right. This is determined by the phase moving to the right, causing the pulse to have the same value at position x after time vt as it did at position x-vt at time t=0.
Rodrigo Schmidt
So I'm having a introductory study on waves and there's something that i can't understand when dealing with reflections on a fixed end. We have the general solution for the wave equation:
## y(x,t)=f(x-vt)+g(x+vt)##
Supposing that the fixed point is in the origin we have the boundary condition:
##y(0,t)=0##
Which leads to:
##f(-vt)=-g(vt)##
Using this, for an arbitrary pulse going to the left we have the solution (While this may seem strange, the equation below fits the boundary conditions and the wave equation):
##y(x,t)=g(x+vt)-g(vt-x)##
Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, before the reflection, the pulse would be, normally, traveling to the left and there would be something like a "virtual pulse" with inverted phase and position travelling, too, to the left. That would mean that when the real pulse reaches the origin, there would be no reflection. There's obviously an error in my logic and the book conclusion on the acquired solution is that the initially virtual pulse is traveling to the right (Which leads to the correct conclusion). What I'm not seeing on this second term? What leads to the conclusion that the pulse related to it travels to the right?

Science news on Phys.org
Rodrigo Schmidt said:
What leads to the conclusion that the pulse related to it travels to the right?
The phase moves to the right.

In other words, after time vt it will have the same value at position x as it had at position x-vt at time t=0.

1. What is wave reflection on a string?

Wave reflection on a string is the phenomenon of a wave encountering an obstacle or boundary on a string and bouncing back in the opposite direction.

2. How does wave reflection on a string occur?

Wave reflection on a string occurs when a wave encounters a change in medium or an obstacle that causes the wave to change direction and travel back in the opposite direction.

3. What factors affect the amount of wave reflection on a string?

The amount of wave reflection on a string is affected by the tension, density, and length of the string, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the wave.

4. How does wave reflection on a string contribute to standing waves?

Wave reflection on a string is essential for the formation of standing waves, as the reflected waves interfere with the original wave to create nodes and antinodes along the string.

5. Is wave reflection on a string a reversible process?

Yes, wave reflection on a string is a reversible process. The reflected wave can also be reflected back and forth between two boundaries, resulting in multiple reflections.