How do the principles of physics apply to building styrofoam planes?

• Thread starter Geno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, Dave has discovered that making a Styrofoam plane is the same idea as physics but just slightly different, and he is a college student majoring in physics. He is trying to start a company dealing with physics. He is asking about aerospace engineering instead of physics because the biggest problem with a purely Styrofoam plane is the lack of strength of the material.
Geno
Hi everyone, I really would like to know the whole background with physics dealing with how planes work, and if making a Styrofoam plane is the same idea with physics but just slightly different. I am a college student majoring in physics and trying to start a company somewhat dealing with physics. Like i.e. building styrofoam planes. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

Geno said:
Hi everyone, I really would like to know the whole background with physics dealing with how planes work,

so being a university student you understand the importance of research ?
what initial things have you discovered so far in your looking around on the net ?Dave

Geno said:
Hi everyone, I really would like to know the whole background with physics dealing with how planes work, and if making a Styrofoam plane is the same idea with physics but just slightly different. I am a college student majoring in physics and trying to start a company somewhat dealing with physics. Like i.e. building styrofoam planes. Thanks!

Would this be more fully covered under Aerospace Engineering instead of Physics?

Geno said:
Welcome to the PF.

Please read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane

and if you have specific questions about that reading, feel free to ask them here. And the biggest problem with a purely Styrofoam plane would be the lack of strength of the material.

Drakkith said:
Would this be more fully covered under Aerospace Engineering instead of Physics?
Good point. I moved the thread now to the ME/Aero forum. :smile:

berkeman said:
And the biggest problem with a purely Styrofoam plane would be the lack of strength of the material.

You just need really small planes! :wink:

Likes berkeman
Drakkith said:
You just need really small planes! :wink:
http://www.gyroscope.com/images/thumbnails/MOTORPLANE-450.jpg
MOTORPLANE-450.jpg

Likes Blank_Stare and Drakkith

1. How do planes fly?

Planes fly due to the principles of lift, thrust, drag, and weight. The wings of a plane are shaped to create lift, which allows the plane to stay in the air. The engines provide thrust to move the plane forward, while the drag created by the air helps to slow down the plane. The weight of the plane must also be balanced with these other forces to maintain flight.

2. What is the role of styrofoam in plane construction?

Styrofoam is a lightweight material that is often used in plane construction because of its high strength-to-weight ratio. It can be molded into various shapes and is also a good insulator, making it ideal for use in the fuselage and wings of a plane.

3. Why are some planes made entirely out of styrofoam?

Some smaller, remote-controlled planes are made entirely out of styrofoam because it is lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to work with. These planes do not require the same level of durability and structural integrity as larger, manned planes, making styrofoam a suitable material.

4. How do styrofoam planes differ from traditional planes?

Styrofoam planes differ from traditional planes in several ways. First, they are much lighter, which means they can fly at lower speeds and with less power. They also tend to be more fragile and less durable than traditional planes, making them better suited for recreational use rather than commercial or military purposes.

5. Are styrofoam planes more environmentally friendly than traditional planes?

While styrofoam planes are generally considered to be more environmentally friendly in terms of production and disposal, they are not a sustainable solution for air travel. Traditional planes are more fuel-efficient and can carry a larger number of passengers, making them a more environmentally friendly option for transportation on a larger scale.