Planet Composition: Detecting Exoplanets via Spectroscopy

In summary, when any exoplanet passes through any star we can see the intensity dip from which we can detect the planet, and when an exoplanet passes through any star by spectroscopy we can find planet composition.
akashpandey
when any exoplanet passes through any star we can see the intensity dip from which we can detect the planet when an exoplanet passes through any star by spectroscopy we can find planet composition.
So my question is did star glare effect light which is passes through planey atmosphere?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
akashpandey said:
when any exoplanet passes through any star we can see the intensity dip from which we can detect the planet when an exoplanet passes through any star by spectroscopy we can find planet composition.
So my question is did star glare effect light which is passes through planey atmosphere?

This technique does not tell us about the composition of the planet ..only it's atmosphere...
The last line of your post is not clear , please ask question again in a different way. ...what is "star glare?"

I mean when light passes through planet atmosphere ;some amount of light is absorbed and some amount is emitted.
So by emissions and absorption spectrum we can tell atmosphere composition.

So my question is when we do spectroscopy of light which is emitted by planet atmosphere has very low intensity because it is coming from very far so these small light is did not hide in star shine.

Yes it is possible that we could estimate the composition of an exoplanet atmosphere using spectroscopy.
However, at the present time that is at the edge of our technology, although I am sure things will improve.
At the moment it probable we could get some rough idea (for a few exoplanets) of gases which commonly exist in an atmosphere.
N2, CO2, CH4, H2O etc.

akashpandey said:
So by emissions and absorption spectrum we can tell atmosphere composition.

I don't believe we can receive any light by emissions ...this is produced when a photon is absorbed , and another is emitted , but the emitted light is scattered in all directions and so not enough would reach us .. the light we get has passed through the atmosphere of the exoplanet , a frequency is absorbed , the rest continues and reaches us...

akashpandey said:
So my question is when we do spectroscopy of light which is emitted by planet atmosphere has very low intensity because it is coming from very far so these small light is did not hide in star shine.

Yes , you would expect the small amount of light going through the atmosphere would be swamped, overpowered by the much more intense direct light from the star ... but apparently not.

So now we don't have any technology to find exoplanets atmosphere composition.

1. What is spectroscopy and how does it help detect exoplanets?

Spectroscopy is a scientific technique that involves the analysis of light to determine the chemical and physical properties of a substance. This technique can be used to detect exoplanets by analyzing the light that passes through their atmospheres, which can provide information about the planet's composition and potential habitability.

2. How do scientists use spectroscopy to determine the composition of exoplanets?

Scientists use spectroscopy to analyze the light spectrum of a star, which can reveal the elements present in the star's atmosphere. Then, when the light from the star passes through the atmosphere of an exoplanet, any elements present in the planet's atmosphere will cause specific patterns in the light spectrum, allowing scientists to determine the composition of the exoplanet.

3. What types of elements can be detected through spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy can detect a wide range of elements including hydrogen, helium, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and many others. It can also detect molecules such as water vapor, methane, and carbon dioxide, which are important for determining the habitability of an exoplanet.

4. What are some challenges in using spectroscopy to detect exoplanets?

One challenge in using spectroscopy to detect exoplanets is the vast distance between Earth and these planets, which can make it difficult to obtain accurate and detailed data. Additionally, the presence of clouds or haze in a planet's atmosphere can obscure the light spectrum and make it more challenging to determine the composition of the exoplanet.

5. How can the composition of exoplanets help us in understanding the formation of our own planet?

By studying the composition of exoplanets, scientists can gain insight into the processes that led to the formation of these planets and compare them to our own. This can help us understand the conditions and elements that were present during the formation of our own planet and the potential for other planets to support life.