Planning On Going to Grad School for Math - Have some questions

In summary, the person asking the questions is an undergraduate majoring in Applied Math and is considering graduate schools. They are unsure if they can attend grad school in Pure Math instead of Applied Math. They also have questions about taking the GREs, deadlines for applying to grad school, and how to decide which schools to apply to. They are unsure if they need to have a specific area of study in mind before applying. The expert explains that the name of the degree does not matter, but rather the classes taken. They also mention that in the US and Canada, it is common to go straight from a BS to a PhD program. Deadlines for applying are usually in mid-December to mid-January, and the person's adviser can help
CornMuffin
Sorry for so many questions, but here they are:

I am currently an undergraduate majoring in Applied Math, and I am finishing my junior year so I figure that I better start looking at graduate schools.

Right now, I am working towards my B.S. in Applied math, but over the past year, many of the subjects in theoretical math have interest me more than subjects in applied math. So, am I still able to attend Graduate School in Pure Math rather than Applied Math?

Secondly, I haven't taken the GREs (General or subject) yet. Hopefully I will be able to take the General GRE this summer. When are the Math GREs offered? The General GREs are offered very often right? How far in advanced should I take the GREs if I plan on applying for Grad school for Fall 2011? Also, how much do the GREs generally cost to take? (If someone has a link to a site to help prepare for the GREs, please post it)

Next question, do I have to decide on the precise material that I would like to end up studying prior to grad school? I know what interests me, but I don't know what I would want to study.

Do People generally pursue their masters, and than PhD in graduate school? My professor gave me the impression that most people that want a PhD go straight for a PhD. I've always assumed that they had to pursue their masters and then PhD.

Generally, when are the deadlines for applying for graduate school, and what materials are needed for the application.

How do I know what Graduate Schools to apply to? Should I just talk with my adviser?

Thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
The name of the degree is not what matters - it is the classes you take. My school, for example, does not offer a degree in pure math. But we do have degrees in applied math and discrete math. All this really means is that a couple of classes typically not required in a pure math program (object oriented programming and numerical analysis) are required, but we offer all of the same courses that would be in a pure math program. Yet, our applied math graduates go to grad school for pure math all the time (including at top programs). So, the name of the degree does not matter!

The general GRE is offered all the time. You need to be vigilant with the subject GRE though - it is only offered 3 times per year. The GRE website has more information.

Most programs state explicitly on their website that it is fine if you don't know what you would like to study in grad school.

It depends on the country as to whether you get your masters beforehand. In the US and Canada, PhD programs require only a BS and you take coursework that would be equivalent to a masters degree in the first couple years. It is completely normal to go to a PhD from a BS, and in fact many schools do not accept graduate credit from other institutions and so getting a masters degree from another school is a complete waste of time! However, outside the US and Canada the situation is generally as you described, where people apply to PhD programs after getting a Masters degree.

Deadlines for graduate school are usually from mid-December to mid-January.

Your adviser would best know what graduate schools are suitable for you to apply to.

What are the requirements for admission to a graduate program in math?

The specific requirements for admission to a graduate program in math may vary depending on the institution, but generally, applicants are expected to have a strong undergraduate background in math, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Many programs also require applicants to submit scores from the GRE subject test in math. Additionally, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a strong undergraduate GPA are important factors in the admissions process.

What kind of research opportunities are available in a graduate program in math?

Graduate programs in math often offer a variety of research opportunities for students, including conducting independent research projects, working as a research assistant for a faculty member, and participating in research seminars and conferences. Many programs also require students to complete a thesis or dissertation as part of their degree requirements, which involves conducting original research in their chosen area of study.

What is the job outlook for those with a graduate degree in math?

A graduate degree in math can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in academia, research, government, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for mathematicians and statisticians is projected to grow 33% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. Graduates with advanced degrees in math are highly sought after for their analytical and problem-solving skills.

How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program in math?

The length of a graduate program in math can vary depending on the specific program and whether a student is pursuing a master's or doctoral degree. On average, a master's program in math can take 2-3 years to complete, while a doctoral program can take 5-7 years. The time frame may also be influenced by factors such as the completion of a thesis or dissertation, teaching or research assistantship responsibilities, and individual progress and course load.

Are there any financial aid opportunities available for graduate students in math?

Many graduate programs in math offer financial aid opportunities, such as scholarships, fellowships, and teaching or research assistantships. These opportunities may cover tuition and fees, provide a stipend for living expenses, and offer valuable teaching and research experience. It is important to research and apply for financial aid opportunities early in the application process to increase the chances of receiving funding.