Plasma and Earthquakes: Exploring the Connection in Geophysics

• Thread starter PhysicsFan11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary, there have been reports from witnesses of unusual atmospheric phenomena, similar to plasma, being seen before severe earthquakes. This is known as "Earthquake Light" and is often attributed to the piezoelectric effect caused by stress along the earthquake zone. However, these reports are largely anecdotal and not supported by reputable sources. There have been some studies, such as one in China, that suggest a possible link between atmospheric disturbances and earthquakes, but more research is needed. It is important to stick with credible sources and avoid relying on videos from platforms like YouTube.
PhysicsFan11
I have been intrigued by reports over the years from witnesses who claimed (at various sites) that before a particularly severe earthquake, that unusual atmospheric phenomenon that would seem to be best described as various forms of plasma (super heated gas) were seen. Is this something accepted in geophysics and what would it indicate? Perhaps cracks in the Earth allowing superheated gases to be released as the 'friction' zone of an earthquake reaches its peak?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Can you cite anything about it? Most of the materials I can find are on Washington Post blog and National Geographic. As far as I looked, the relevant term is Earthquake Light. It seems to be vague and most of the explanations that are not (as aptly described in National Geographic article) 'UFO fodder' revolve around piezoelectric effect caused by a stress along the prospective earthquake zone.

DevacDave said:
Can you cite anything about it?
These have been anecdotal but over multiple times and sites. Here is but one link to clouds (fascinating) that were seen before an earthquake in China.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=82eoaoOkyAA

Here is yet another, this time before a Canadian earthquake.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as curious as you are but could not find anything reputable almost instantly. It's usually a bad sign, so I would like to hear geophysicist say a few words on the topic.

EDIT: This got sent unintentionally, I wasn't finished writing. Here's the rest:

However, as noted in the rules it's not really a place for speculative talks etc. I was hoping to at least bring few clarifying terms and definitions. Videos are really nice, but without some additional data they can't be really assumed as a solid proof/material on its own. I would look around the term Earthquake Lights or similar, but there is nothing about it on Arxiv… usually a really bad sign for any theory.

Last edited:
PhysicsFan11 said:
Here is yet another, this time before a Canadian earthquake.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is a common ice cloud rainbow. Nothing to do with earthquakes. Feel free to Google the term.

Likes artyb and DevacDave
DaveC426913 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but that is a common ice cloud rainbow. Nothing to do with earthquakes. Feel free to Google the term.

To clarify, it's part of the ice cloud halos, on the same side of the sun, opposite side to a rainbow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(optical_phenomenon)

artyb said:
To clarify, it's part of the ice cloud halos, on the same side of the sun, opposite side to a rainbow.
Yup. When But ice cloud halo tends to turn up halos in Google that are more-or-less fully circular, looking little like the OP's example.

Likes davenn

Related to Plasma and Earthquakes: Exploring the Connection in Geophysics

1. How does plasma affect earthquakes?

Plasma, which is a state of matter with charged particles, can play a role in the occurrence and strength of earthquakes. It has been observed that changes in plasma activity in the ionosphere, which is the upper part of Earth's atmosphere, can trigger seismic activity. This is because plasma can influence the Earth's magnetic field, which in turn affects the movement of tectonic plates.

2. What is the link between solar activity and earthquakes?

Solar activity, such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections, can also impact Earth's magnetic field and plasma activity in the ionosphere. This can create changes in the Earth's electromagnetic field, which can trigger earthquakes. Some studies have shown that there is a correlation between increased solar activity and an increase in earthquake activity.

3. How do scientists study the connection between plasma and earthquakes?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the link between plasma and earthquakes. This includes monitoring plasma activity in the ionosphere using satellites, studying changes in Earth's magnetic field, and analyzing seismic data from earthquakes. By combining data from these different sources, scientists can better understand how plasma affects earthquakes.

4. Is there a specific type of earthquake that is more affected by plasma?

There is no specific type of earthquake that is more affected by plasma. However, some studies have shown that earthquakes with a magnitude of 5 or higher tend to have a stronger correlation with changes in plasma activity and solar activity. This suggests that larger earthquakes may be more influenced by plasma and solar activity.

5. Can plasma activity be used to predict earthquakes?

While there is evidence of a connection between plasma and earthquakes, it is not yet possible to use plasma activity to predict earthquakes with accuracy. Scientists are still studying and gathering data to better understand this connection and develop potential prediction methods. Other factors, such as tectonic plate movement and geological processes, also play a significant role in earthquake occurrence and are still the main focus of earthquake prediction efforts.