Platform Structure material thickness

In summary, the person is building a platform using steel materials and is seeking advice on which materials to use for the best load bearing capacity. They are considering using 2" square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness and 1/4" angle iron for the platform structure. They have also considered using 2" square tubing with 3/8" thickness, but it may not be available locally. The platform will hold approximately 500 lbs of equipment and up to 3 adult workers, totaling approximately 1,500 lbs. The person also mentions the importance of following local and federal codes, ensuring the platform is safe for use. They also discuss the need for a professional engineer to review and stamp the design. Finally,
mnray
I'm building a 6'x12' steel platform that will be 3' elevated from the ground. How can I determine what load bearing weight will be if I use 2" Square Tubing, 1/4" wall thickness and then use 1/4" angle iron for the platform structure? I was going to use 2" Sq tube, 3/8" thick, but most local suppliers in my area only stock 1/4" thickness. There will be approx. 500 lbs of equipment on the platform (stationary) and from time to time 3 adult workers, so I figure approx 1,500 total weight (maximum).
I need to know if 1/4" supports will hold this platform up. Thanks for your help and direction. I have an attachment that shows the basic platform that I will be welding.

Attachments

• Platform Sketch 02.jpg
    Platform Sketch 02.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,493
Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending on where you are located, any drawings that are used for the construction/fabrication of platforms which will be occupied by people, or equipment which will be operating near where people work, needs to be stamped by a professional engineer. Please check into your local and federal codes.

That disclaimer at the top means that you can't just use their design because they sell it. You have to stamp your own drawing after having your own PE look at it.

Yes, thank you Travis, this is just an example of what will be built. I probably should have used a photo of a platform for general discussion. For example this drawing shows 5" x 3/8" angle as the legs. I'm inquiring about 2" Square tubing 1/8 thick. I had read other post where people suggested adding a photo or drawing (to clarify) what was being asked. When using the general word "platform" you can get discussion on everything from catwalks, to beds... I was just trying to get a formula or any idea if what the load strength of 2" Sq, 1/8" thick material would be. Thanks again.

Yep, it's always good to include pictures. I was just making sure you knew that if people are going to be on it, you need to have it stamped. Which means you'll need a professional engineer to be a part of the design process, review the calcs, and stamp it. We can't recommend anything else here, as (assuming you're in the US or Canada - and not in an underground mine) doing anything else would be illegal and would open you up to loads of liability.

The load strength of 2" square stock alone is pretty well defined, but it depends on how the bar is loaded. This is based on the yield strength of the steel (multiplied by a safety factor, a lot of times this is like 0.6*yield; standards vary). Look up your applicable building code, they'll tell you what to use. It also depends on the area moment of inertia or section modulus, which you can find easily online, and you'll want to know the modulus of elasticity (young's modulus) for the type of steel you're using; also found online.

The bigger issue for you is that these won't be loaded just axially, they are part of a structure. You'll have to look up some steel design if you'll be doing the preliminary sizing. There's no one formula for the strength of a member in a structure. It depends on the structure and where and how the expected loads are applied.

mnray: In a quick check, the minimum bending strength of 127 x 127 x 9.525 mm structural angle appears to be 2.19 times greater than 50.8 x 6.35 mm square tube. And the minimum bending stiffness of 127 x 127 x 9.525 mm structural angle appears to be 3.87 times greater than 50.8 x 6.35 mm square tube. Therefore, 50.8 x 6.35 mm square tube currently appears to be weaker than 127 x 127 x 9.525 mm structural angle.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of considering platform structure material thickness in a scientific study?

The platform structure material thickness is an important factor to consider in a scientific study as it can affect the stability, strength, and overall performance of the platform. It is crucial to determine the appropriate thickness to ensure the platform can withstand the expected load and environmental conditions.

2. How is the platform structure material thickness determined?

The platform structure material thickness is determined through calculations and simulations using engineering principles and standards. Factors such as the type of material, expected load, and environmental conditions are taken into account to determine the appropriate thickness for the platform structure.

3. What types of materials are commonly used for platform structures?

The most commonly used materials for platform structures include steel, concrete, and wood. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements of the platform.

4. Can the platform structure material thickness be adjusted after construction?

In most cases, the platform structure material thickness cannot be adjusted after construction. This is because the thickness is determined based on specific calculations and changing it can affect the structural integrity of the platform. However, in some cases, minor adjustments may be possible with the approval of a professional engineer.

5. How does the platform structure material thickness affect the cost of construction?

The platform structure material thickness can significantly affect the cost of construction. Thicker materials are generally more expensive, so using a thicker material will increase the cost of construction. However, using a thinner material than what is required can result in a weaker and less stable platform, which may lead to higher maintenance and repair costs in the long run.