Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem calculating structure strengh

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    Hello, I don’t know much about physics and I am building a rack for my pickup truck. For my own safety, I need to know in how much load I can put on this rack. I drew up a diagram to clear up miscommunication for whoever wants to solve that problem. It would be highly appreciated.

Distance CD is 6 feet
    Distance AC and BD is 3 feet
    Distance CJ and JD is 3 feet
    Distance AE is 14 feet
    Black diamonds are points where I would attach weight
    All material Is A500 steel rectangle tube 4 inches by 2 inches with the 4 inch side drawn on the diagram. All contact points would be professionally welded.

I would like to know how much weight can I safely put on individual pressure points F, G and E and on the whole structure with the thickness of rectangular steel pipe being either 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick (I don't know yet which thickness to choose) I would be able to multiply the answer by 2 and get the total weight I can apply to both sides because the other side is the exact copy of first one.
    Thanks in advance for whoever decides to take on this problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook