Problem calculating structure strengh

• Thread starter Username107
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the individual pressure points and overall weight capacity of a pickup truck rack made of A500 steel rectangle tube with specific dimensions and welded contact points can be determined through a static truss analysis. This involves calculating the load-bearing capacity of the structure using information such as distances and steel thickness. A good starting point for understanding this process is the Wikipedia page on truss analysis.
Username107
Hello, I don’t know much about physics and I am building a rack for my pickup truck. For my own safety, I need to know in how much load I can put on this rack. I drew up a diagram to clear up miscommunication for whoever wants to solve that problem. It would be highly appreciated.

Distance CD is 6 feet
Distance AC and BD is 3 feet
Distance CJ and JD is 3 feet
Distance AE is 14 feet
Black diamonds are points where I would attach weight
All material Is A500 steel rectangle tube 4 inches by 2 inches with the 4 inch side drawn on the diagram. All contact points would be professionally welded.

I would like to know how much weight can I safely put on individual pressure points F, G and E and on the whole structure with the thickness of rectangular steel pipe being either 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick (I don't know yet which thickness to choose) I would be able to multiply the answer by 2 and get the total weight I can apply to both sides because the other side is the exact copy of first one.
Thanks in advance for whoever decides to take on this problem.

Attachments

• Truck Rack.jpg
    Truck Rack.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 376
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is structure strength and why is it important in scientific research?

Structure strength refers to the ability of a material or system to withstand external forces without breaking or deforming. It is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand the limits and capabilities of different structures, and to design them accordingly for various applications.

2. What factors are involved in calculating structure strength?

The factors involved in calculating structure strength include the material properties, such as density and elasticity, as well as the shape, size, and orientation of the structure. External forces, such as tension, compression, and shear, also play a role in determining the strength of a structure.

3. How do scientists test the strength of a structure?

Scientists use a variety of methods to test the strength of a structure, depending on the type of structure and the specific research goals. These methods may include physical experiments, computer simulations, and mathematical calculations. The results of these tests can help scientists understand the behavior of a structure under different conditions.

4. Can the strength of a structure be improved?

Yes, the strength of a structure can be improved through various techniques, such as using stronger materials, altering the structure's design, or implementing reinforcement techniques. Scientists are constantly researching and developing new methods to improve the strength and durability of different structures.

5. How is structure strength relevant to real-world applications?

The study of structure strength has many real-world applications, such as in the fields of engineering, architecture, and materials science. Understanding the strength of different structures allows us to design and build more efficient and safe buildings, bridges, vehicles, and other structures that are essential to our daily lives.