Calculate Momentum of Photon and Number of Photons Needed to Stop Li Atom

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a laser beam to produce postironium through charge exchange with a beam of lithium atoms. The momentum vector of a photon is determined by the power and energy of the beam, while the number of photons required to stop a lithium atom from its initial thermal speed is dependent on the dimensions of the Poynting vector. The conversation also includes questions about the Poynting vector, electric and magnetic field amplitudes, radiation pressure, and the change in momentum of a lithium atom when it absorbs a photon.
stunner5000pt
Pleas PLease help me!

FDor charge exchange production of postironium a beam of lithium atoms will be directed through a positron cloud by a lasser beam. A 0.01W laser beam traveling in the +X direction with beam diameter of 0.01m is abosorbed by the atoms traveling in the -X direction.

What ithe momentum vector of a photon?

Power = Energy/Time and Energy/ c = momentum of photon

so Pt / c = momentum of photon (YES??)

Over one second the momentum of the photon is 0.01W/ 3e+8 = 3.33 x 10^-11 kg m/s

What is the number of photons required to stop Li atom at 500m/s

Assume all the Li atom will abosrod al the photns of the same wavelength and stop it

[tex] M_{Li} V_{Li} = Np_{Photon} [/tex] but his yeidls a non integer

so is this wrong or is that the lithium atom cannot abosrb a photn of this wavelength??

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you write down the question EXACTLY as it appears in your homework ? It looks like there's some data missing.

Gokul43201 said:
Could you write down the question EXACTLY as it appears in your homework ? It looks like there's some data missing.

The only thing i skipped on in the other sub questions within this question

A) what is the Pynting Vector of the EM wave
B) What are th average ELectric and magnetic field amplitude of the wave
C) Write an expression for the radiation pressure on the atoms as a function of the electric and magnetic fields
D)What tieh momentum vectory of each phton
E)What is the change in momentum of an LI atom when it absorbs 1 photon
F) What is the number of potons required to stop an Li atom from inital thermal speed of 500 m/s?

stunner5000pt said:
The only thing i skipped on in the other sub questions within this question

C) Write an expression for the radiation pressure on the atoms as a function of the electric and magnetic fields
F) What is the number of potons required to stop an Li atom from inital thermal speed of 500 m/s?

And the only data given is the power and area ? Can you write this part of the question down too, so you may be better helped. I've got to go now, but I'll check back tomorrow.

PS : Quick hint : what are the dimensions of the Poynting vector, [itex] \mathbf {E} \times \mathbf {H} [/itex] ?

Last edited:
Let me post exactly what was gienn to me, rmember this is my prof who wrote this and not a textbook

FDor charge exchange production of postironium a beam of lithium atoms will be directed through a positron cloud by a lasser beam. A 0.01W laser beam traveling in the +X direction with beam diameter of 0.01m is abosorbed by the atoms traveling in the -X direction.

you can ignore the Penning trap one i got it just help me with this and the other one

1. What is the formula for calculating the momentum of a photon?

The formula for calculating the momentum of a photon is p = h/λ, where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant, and λ is the wavelength of the photon.

2. How is the momentum of a photon related to its energy?

The momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the energy of a photon increases, its momentum also increases.

3. How do you calculate the number of photons needed to stop a Li atom?

To calculate the number of photons needed to stop a Li atom, you need to know the momentum of the Li atom before and after the interaction with the photons. Then, you can use the conservation of momentum principle to calculate the number of photons needed.

4. Is it possible to stop a Li atom with just one photon?

No, it is not possible to stop a Li atom with just one photon. This is because the momentum of a photon is very small compared to the momentum of a Li atom. It would take multiple photons to significantly change the momentum of a Li atom.

5. What factors can affect the number of photons needed to stop a Li atom?

The number of photons needed to stop a Li atom can be affected by the energy and direction of the photons, as well as the initial momentum of the Li atom. The type of interaction between the photons and the Li atom, such as absorption or scattering, can also impact the number of photons needed.