Fixing the "& nu ;" Ambiguity Problem

• Thread starter quartodeciman
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to use a font specifically for Greek letters, use the times new roman font. If you want to use a font that is more universal, use the symbol font.
quartodeciman
please, a "new" nu!

I suppose I should be complaining to the vBulletin folks!

The glyph for the escape coding "& nu ;" (scrunched together!) is just a lower case v. If I am writing math expressions with both an ordinary velocity and a frequency term, this makes for ambiguity.

I guess I can use smilie "[ nu ]" (scrunched together!), but these tend to appear above the text line.

TFYP!

a "& nu ;" and a "v":
abcνdef...stuvwxyz
---> -------->

a smilie "nu":
abc[nu]def
--->

Physics news on Phys.org
Nah, you need to complain to the people who created the fonts.

The times new roman font is easily the best font for greek letters. To use it, type

<font=times new roman> text </font>

but use square brackets [] instead of angle brackets <>

Rewriting your post encapslated in this font tag will yield:

I suppose I should be complaining to the vBulletin folks!

The glyph for the escape coding "& nu ;" (scrunched together!) is just a lower case v. If I am writing math expressions with both an ordinary velocity and a frequency term, this makes for ambiguity.

I guess I can use smilie "[ nu ]" (scrunched together!), but these tend to appear above the text line.

TFYP!

a "& nu ;" and a "v":
abc&nu;def...stuvwxyz
---> -------->

a smilie "nu":
abc[nu]def
--->

If this is too small, then also wrap it in <size=3> </size> tags.

Hmm!

&nu;'/&nu; = (c + v).5/(c - v).5

Gee! That's neat!

TFYH!

You can also use the "symbol" font.

<font=symbol>n</font>

again, with [] instead of <>.

You'll get: n

Oh, yes! I couldn't remember that font name. That has all kinds of good stuff, including cards pips: §¨©ª, very useful when discussing probability examples.

Unfortunately, the symbol font is a little less universal; the four symbols you posted don't look anything like card suits, and the 'nu' that tom posted looks like an 'n'.

Yikes! There oughta be a law!

What is the "&nu;" ambiguity problem?

The "&nu;" ambiguity problem refers to the confusion that can arise when using the "&nu;" symbol in scientific notation. In some contexts, "&nu;" may represent the symbol for frequency, while in others, it may represent the symbol for kinematic viscosity.

How does this ambiguity affect scientific research?

This ambiguity can lead to misinterpretation of data and incorrect calculations in scientific research. For example, a researcher may use the wrong value for "&nu;" when calculating the frequency of a wave, resulting in inaccurate results.

What is the solution to the "&nu;" ambiguity problem?

The best solution is to use the appropriate unit or symbol for the specific context. For frequency, the unit Hertz (Hz) should be used, while for kinematic viscosity, the symbol "&eta;" should be used. This helps to clarify the intended meaning and avoids confusion.

Are there any other symbols that can cause similar ambiguity?

Yes, there are other symbols that can cause similar ambiguity, such as the use of "m" for both meters and mass, or "t" for both time and temperature. It is important for scientists to be aware of these potential ambiguities and to use the correct symbols and units in their research.

What steps can be taken to avoid ambiguity in scientific notation?

In addition to using the appropriate symbols and units, it is also important to clearly define and label all variables and units in scientific notation. This helps to avoid confusion and ensures that the intended meaning is understood by all researchers and readers.