Please check my math about this engine efficiency calculation

In summary: Do you understand that that is impossible? The reactions are reversible - the energy is the same going...Do you understand that that is impossible? The reactions are reversible - the energy is the same going forwards and backwards. This is demanded by conservation of energy.In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of using hydrogen and oxygen, created through electrolysis of water, as a fuel for cars. The speaker gets lost when trying to calculate the energy needed for electrolysis and the energy produced through combustion. After a series of calculations, it is determined that the energy required for electrolysis is 60018 kJ, which is very close to the energy produced through combustion (60060 kJ). However, this is impossible according to the laws
Le Luc
Hello. I wanted to see how much more efficient a car would be if hydrogen and oxygen (created through electrolysis of water) were injected into the engine alongside gasoline. I got lost when I found out that I would need 241.8 kJ/mol of water to electrolyze it (https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...ch-energy-is-needed-to-break-a-water-molecule), but I would get 572 kJ just from the combustion of 2H2+O2 (https://www.quora.com/How-much-energy-is-released-in-hydrogen-combustion-reaction).

So here are the steps I took:
1) 1 gallon water is 210 moles
2) 241.8 kJ to split 1 mole of water
3) 241.8*210 = 50778 kJ
4) 50778 kJ to split 210 moles
5) 2H2(g) + O2(g) --> 2H2(g) + 572kJ
6) 210/2 = 105 (because the formula produces 2 H2O)
7) 105*(6.02214179*10^23)*572 = 3.616898359*10^28 kJ

Sorry if the math is incorrect beyond explanation.
To clarify step 7, I divided the # of moles because there were 2 water molecules produced.

I think step 7 is incorrect.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Le Luc said:
Hello. I wanted to see how much more efficient a car would be if hydrogen and oxygen (created through electrolysis of water) were injected into the engine alongside gasoline. I got lost when I found out that I would need 241.8 kJ/mol of water to electrolyze it (https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...ch-energy-is-needed-to-break-a-water-molecule), but I would get 572 kJ just from the combustion of 2H2+O2 (https://www.quora.com/How-much-energy-is-released-in-hydrogen-combustion-reaction).

So here are the steps I took:
1) 1 gallon water is 210 moles
2) 241.8 kJ to split 1 mole of water
3) 241.8*210 = 50778 kJ
4) 50778 kJ to split 210 moles
5) 2H2(g) + O2(g) --> 2H2(g) + 572kJ
6) 210/2 = 105 (because the formula produces 2 H2O)
7) 105*(6.02214179*10^23)*572 = 3.616898359*10^28 kJ

Sorry if the math is incorrect beyond explanation.
To clarify step 7, I divided the # of moles because there were 2 water molecules produced.

I think step 7 is incorrect.
It isn't clear to me what you are trying to do. You used the word "efficiency", but efficiency is expressed in percent and there are no percentages in your math. It almost looks like you are trying to calculate how much energy you get back by burning hydrogen and oxygen, which should be exactly how much you put into split it from water (per conservation of energy)...

...In step 5 you made the oxygen disappear...

But yeah, your big error is in step 7, in which you multiplied by Avagadro's number for no reason that I can see. You already had units of gallons, so there is no conversion needed.

Ultimately all you really did is do a really roundabout calculation of the heat of vaporization of water.

russ_watters said:
It isn't clear to me what you are trying to do. You used the word "efficiency", but efficiency is expressed in percent and there are no percentages in your math. It almost looks like you are trying to calculate how much energy you get back by burning hydrogen and oxygen, which should be exactly how much you put into split it from water (per conservation of energy)...

...In step 5 you made the oxygen disappear...

But yeah, your big error is in step 7, in which you multiplied by Avagadro's number for no reason that I can see. You already had units of gallons, so there is no conversion needed.

Ultimately all you really did is do a really roundabout calculation of the heat of vaporization of water.
Thank you very much. Since the energy I get out of combustion needs to be less than the energy I put in through electrolysis, would that mean that I would need to have more than 60060 kJ of input to get 60060 kJ of output, since step 7 without Avagadro's number is 105*572 = 60060 kJ?

In step 3, I got 50778 kJ to split 210 moles of water, so where would the missing 9282 kJ be? EDIT: I think I got the wrong number for energy required for electrolysis/mole. Now I got 285.8*210 = 60018 kJ and I see now that it is much closer to 60060 kJ. Is 60018 close enough to 60060?

Last edited:
Le Luc said:
Thank you very much. Since the energy I get out of combustion needs to be less than the energy I put in through electrolysis...
Do you understand that that is impossible? The reactions are reversible - the energy is the same going forwards and backwards. This is demanded by conservation of energy.
...would that mean that I would need to have more than 60060 kJ of input to get 60060 kJ of output, since step 7 without Avagadro's number is 105*572 = 60060 kJ?
Pay attention to the state (liquid, gas) of the products and reactants. If the energy you get back isn't exactly the same as the energy you put in, it is probably because you started with one and ended with the other.

russ_watters said:
Do you understand that that is impossible? The reactions are reversible - the energy is the same going forwards and backwards. This is demanded by conservation of energy.

Oh. I said that because of electrical resistance. Sorry for not stating that.

Since temperature affects electrolysis, then my missing 42 kJ was probably from using the wrong temperature for water. Finally. I think I get it now.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara and russ_watters

What is engine efficiency?

Engine efficiency refers to the ratio of useful work output to the total energy input in an engine. It is a measure of how well an engine converts the energy from its fuel into useful work.

How is engine efficiency calculated?

Engine efficiency is calculated by dividing the useful work output (such as mechanical energy or power) by the total energy input (such as fuel energy or heat input). The result is usually expressed as a percentage.

What factors affect engine efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect engine efficiency, including the type of fuel used, the design and condition of the engine, the operating temperature and pressure, and the load or speed at which the engine is running.

What is a good engine efficiency percentage?

The average engine efficiency for internal combustion engines is around 20-30%, and for diesel engines, it can range from 30-45%. A good engine efficiency percentage would depend on the type and size of the engine, but generally, the higher the percentage, the more efficient the engine is.

Why is engine efficiency important?

Engine efficiency is important for several reasons. It can affect the performance and reliability of the engine, as well as the cost and environmental impact of using the engine. Improving engine efficiency can also lead to cost savings and reduce emissions.

Back