Please confirm this (functionnal analysis)

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses a surprising theorem about compact operators on infinite dimensional Banach spaces. The theorem states that for any infinite dimensional Banach space and compact operator, 0 is in the spectrum of the operator. This means that there are no invertible compact operators on infinite dimensional Banach spaces. However, the term "invertible" in this context refers to invertibility in the Banach algebra, which may include unbounded inverses. The conversation also mentions that the spectrum of a compact operator must always contain 0 and that there are two different definitions of "invertible" in this context. The conversation concludes by discussing the terminology used by operator theorists and the book "Perturbation theory of linear operators" by Kato.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a theorem here that I find a little surprising and I would like confirmation that I am interpreting it correctly.

The theorem says that for E an infinite dimensional Banach space (over K=R or C) and T:E-->E a compact operator, 0 is in the spectrum of T. That is to say, [tex]0\in\sigma(T)=\{\lambda\in K:\lambda I-T \mbox{ is not invertible}\}[/tex].

In particular, this means that as soon as E if infinite dimensional and T:E-->E is compact, then T is not invertible. There are no invertible compact operators on infinite dimensional Banach spaces!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
In particular, this means that as soon as E if infinite dimensional and T:E-->E is compact, then T is not invertible. There are no invertible compact operators on infinite dimensional Banach spaces!
That's true. In the infinite dimensional case, the compact operators form a proper ideal of the bounded operators.

In fact more is true about the spectrum of a compact operator. Namely, if it isn't finite, then it consists of a (countable) sequence that converges to zero, and all these nonzero elements are eigenvalues.

morphism said:
That's true. In the infinite dimensional case, the compact operators form a proper ideal of the bounded operators.

In fact more is true about the spectrum of a compact operator. Namely, if it isn't finite, then it consists of a (countable) sequence that converges to zero, and all these nonzero elements are eigenvalues.

Yes, but the claim is false : There ARE invertible compact operators in infinite dimensional Banach spaces, but the inverse has to be unbounded.
In other words, the spectrum of any compact operator in an infinite dimensional space always accumulate at 0 but it does not contain 0 in general.

Aleph-0 said:
Yes, but the claim is false : There ARE invertible compact operators in infinite dimensional Banach spaces, but the inverse has to be unbounded.
In other words, the spectrum of any compact operator in an infinite dimensional space always accumulate at 0 but it does not contain 0 in general.
The word "invertible" refers to invertibility in the Banach algebra under consideration, which in this case is the space of bounded operators on E. It's in this sense that the spectrum of a compact operator must always contain 0. Of course if your definition of spectrum allows for unbounded inverses, then yes, there are invertible compact operators. But this is a very non-standard definition.

if you know the basic result that in an infinite dimensional banach space the closed unit ball is never compact, then this result should not be surprizing at all. i.e., a compact operator maps bounded sets like the unit ball, into sets of compact closure, which are much smaller than the unit ball.

in particular if the map is injective, it must map an independent sequence of unit vectors into shorter and shorter images, forcing its set theoretic inverse to enlarge a sequence of unit vectors by more and more, hence to be unbounded.

say isn't aleph wrong here? i believe any bounded linear map which is bijective on a banach space actually has a bounded inverse. so actually I believe there are two senses in which his statement that invertible compact operators T exist in infinite dimensional banach spaces deviates from the usual meaning of "invertible", namely there are never any bijective ones, and even when there exist injective ones, their inverse are unbounded even on the image of T.

of course he might define a map as invertible if it is injective, but again that is not a very useful definition of invertible, since it only has a one sided inverse, not a genuine 2 sided inverse, and even that one sided inverse is unbounded on its domain.

of course it may be that necessity forces operator theorists to deal with such maps, and they may call them "invertible", but I have not run across this.

Last edited:
i checked with my operator theorist friends and apparently the term invertible is not used in this generality.

mathwonk said:
of course it may be that necessity forces operator theorists to deal with such maps, and they may call them "invertible", but I have not run across this.

Ok I agree. The spectrum indeed contains zero.
About terminology, Kato in its standard book (Pertubation theory of linear operators) uses the term "invertible" for injective and always precises whether or not the inverse operator is bounded.

1. What is a functional analysis and why is it important?

A functional analysis is a research method used in psychology and behavior analysis to identify the causes of a specific behavior and develop effective interventions. It involves systematically observing and manipulating environmental variables to determine their influence on behavior. It is important because it allows for a better understanding of behavior and the development of evidence-based interventions for behavior change.

2. How is a functional analysis conducted?

A functional analysis is typically conducted in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory or clinical setting. It involves systematically manipulating different environmental variables and observing the effect on the behavior of interest. The results are then analyzed to determine the function of the behavior, which can help guide the development of interventions.

3. What types of behaviors can be analyzed with a functional analysis?

A functional analysis can be used to analyze a wide range of behaviors, including both adaptive and maladaptive behaviors. Some common examples include self-injurious behavior, aggression, stereotypy, and noncompliance. The method can also be used to analyze behaviors in individuals of all ages, including children and adults.

4. What are the benefits of using a functional analysis compared to other methods of behavior analysis?

A functional analysis is considered to be the most rigorous method of behavior analysis because it involves systematically manipulating environmental variables to determine their impact on behavior. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the function of behavior and the development of more effective interventions. Other methods, such as descriptive analysis, may not provide as much detail or specificity in identifying the underlying causes of behavior.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when conducting a functional analysis?

Yes, ethical considerations should always be taken into account when conducting a functional analysis. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants and ensuring their safety throughout the study. It is also important to consider the potential impact of the interventions being tested and ensure that they are in line with ethical guidelines for behavior analysis research.