Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please describe elastic hysteresis in plain English

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    I've tried looking on various websites to find a definition I can understand but every website describes it differently, even the online dictionaries. I have also tried looking in my Y&F University Physics. I just don't <i>understand</i> what elastic hysteresis is because most descriptions don't explain physical processes.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

clem

Science Advisor

For a rubber band, "elastic hysteresis" means the the strain vs. stress curve is the same on contraction as it was on extension.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    Nope, that's the opposite.
    Elastic hysteresis is in fact the phenomenon in which the system's prior history, so as to speak, influences the behaviour. For a rubber band, the loading and unloading curves diverge due to hysteresis loss (energy loss in form of heat for example).
    http://www.revisionworld.co.uk/files/strain_33.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jan 6, 2010 #4

clem

Science Advisor

I guess I misinterpreted the question. In usual terms "elastic" means no loss of energy.
    I still don't know in which sense it was used here.

6. Jan 6, 2010 #5
    Watch this, maybe you'll get a feel for it.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoAndCaptions/detail/embed22.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook