Please help Alignment of very very long equations in latex

In summary, the best way to align very long equations in LaTeX is to use either the eqnarray, align, multline, or IEEEeqnarray environments depending on the specific needs of the equations. It is recommended to use "eqnarray" or "IEEEeqnarray" for multi-line equations and "align" for most other cases. The "align" environment is considered to be more consistent and aesthetically pleasing, but "IEEEeqnarray" offers more flexibility and is recommended for more complex equations. The "multline" environment can also be used for multi-line equations in certain cases.
AdityaNanda
Please help! Alignment of very very long equations in latex

Hi all,

I need to type very long equations in LATEX.

\begin{equation} x = x'' + y'' + blah blah blah + z'' + blah ...\end {equation}

When I compile and create the pdf , the equations(the long ones) run into the edge of the page and beyond.

I want the RHS to start in the

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use "eqnarray" instead of "equation". Eg.
\begin{eqnarray}
blah blah blah 1 \nonumber\\
blah blah blah 2 \nonumber\\
blah blah blah end
\end{eqnarray}

djelovin said:
You should use "eqnarray" instead of "equation". Eg.
\begin{eqnarray}
blah blah blah 1 \nonumber\\
blah blah blah 2 \nonumber\\
blah blah blah end
\end{eqnarray}

I prefer using "align" for most things. While I'm not as fanatical as some, align is just more consistent and generally looks nicer. (Although I'm not entirely happy about the lack of space after the + in the second row on the board.)

[tex]\begin{align}
x &= x'' + blah blah \nonumber\\
&+ y''+ blah blah
\end{align}[/tex]

I think the recommendation for multi-line equations nowadays is to use the multline environment where it works, and use the IEEEeqnarray environment (provided by the IEEEtrantools package) for everything else. IEEEeqnarray is an environment for the display of aligned equations that's more flexible than either align or eqnarray, without the formatting problems of the eqnarray environment.

The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e recommends IEEEeqnarray this way in its math section as of a couple of years ago. There's also a more detailed overview available here.

next line but at the same align to the equal sign.

Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with trying to align long equations in LATEX. Fortunately, there are a few options you can try to solve this issue.

One option is to use the \split command within the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} tags. This will allow you to split the equation into multiple lines while still aligning them to the equal sign. Here's an example:

\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
x = &\ x'' + y'' + blah blah blah \\
&+ z'' + blah ...
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Another option is to use the \align command, which allows you to align multiple equations at once. Here's an example:

\begin{align}
x &= x'' + y'' + blah blah blah \\
&= z'' + blah ...
\end{align}

You can also adjust the page margins to give more room for long equations by using the \usepackage{geometry} command and specifying the page dimensions.

I hope this helps with aligning your long equations in LATEX. Good luck!

1. How do I align very long equations in LaTeX?

To align very long equations in LaTeX, you can use the align environment from the amsmath package. This will allow you to specify the alignment points in the equation and insert line breaks where needed.

2. Can I align equations without using the amsmath package?

While the amsmath package is the recommended way to align equations in LaTeX, you can also use the eqnarray environment to align equations without it. However, the eqnarray environment has some limitations and may not work for very long equations.

3. What do I do if my aligned equations are too long for the page?

If your equations are too long for the page, you can use the split or multline environments from the amsmath package. These environments allow you to break up the equations and continue them on the next line.

4. Is there a way to align equations without breaking them into multiple lines?

Yes, you can use the flalign environment from the amsmath package to align equations without breaking them into multiple lines. This environment is useful for aligning very long equations without line breaks.

5. Can I align equations with different numbering on each line?

Yes, you can use the align environment with the \notag command to suppress numbering on specific lines. This allows you to have different numbering for each line while still aligning the equations.