Please help Circuit analysis (Thevenin voltage and internal resistance)

In summary: Then use Ohm's law to calculate the Thevenin voltage. Remember to take into account the internal resistance of the voltage source.In summary, the conversation is about circuit analysis, specifically the Thevenin voltage and internal resistance. The first question involves proving that RI (internal resistance of the meter movement) is equal to (RS)(RP)/(RS-RP). The second question is about finding the Thevenin voltage for a circuit and using Ohm's law to calculate it, taking into account the internal resistance of the voltage source.
Odyssey
URGENT! Please help! Circuit analysis (Thevenin voltage and internal resistance)

Hi guys,
I am really stuck on this portion of my lab and it's due tomorrow! Please help!

I have two questions:
The first deals with the diagram from the left of the attached picture. I have to prove that RI (internal resistance of the meter movement) is equal to (RS)(RP)/(RS-RP). I tried reducing the circuit through circuit analysis (Rs = R1+R2+... and 1/Rp=(1/R1)+(1/R2)+...) but it doesn't work. Please give me some pointers, thank you.

The second question is about the circuit on the right. I have to find the Thevenin voltage for this circuit. I know this is equal to the open circuit voltage which I measured to be 0.790V in the lab. I found the Thevenin resistance to be RTH=1,500 Ohms by circuit analysis. Please give me some ideas on how to solve for VTH, thank you!

Attachments

• lab.GIF
    lab.GIF
    4.5 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know what the circuit looks like, but the procedure for finding the look in resistance is to turn off all your sources. Open circuit your current sources and short circuit your voltage sources.

You can solve for the Thevenin voltage by finding the short circuit current at the load terminals.

Hi there,

I understand that you are in a time crunch and need help with your circuit analysis lab. It is important to remember that circuit analysis can be a complex and time-consuming process, so it is important to approach it with patience and a clear understanding of the concepts involved.

For your first question, it seems like you are on the right track by using the equations for series and parallel resistors to reduce the circuit. However, it is important to also consider the meter movement as a component in the circuit, and take into account its internal resistance. I would suggest looking into the concept of equivalent circuits, where the meter movement and its internal resistance can be represented by a single resistor in series with the rest of the circuit. This will make it easier to solve for the internal resistance RI.

For your second question, you are correct in finding the Thevenin resistance by using the circuit analysis equations. To find the Thevenin voltage, you can use the Thevenin theorem, which states that the open circuit voltage is equal to the Thevenin voltage. In other words, you can use the 0.790V measurement as your Thevenin voltage. Alternatively, you can also use the voltage divider formula, where VTH = Vsource x (RTH/(RTH+RL)). In this case, RL would be the load resistor in the circuit.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab! Remember to approach circuit analysis with a clear understanding of the concepts and take your time to solve it systematically. Don't hesitate to reach out for further clarification.

1. What is Thevenin voltage and internal resistance?

Thevenin voltage is the open circuit voltage at the output terminals of a circuit, while internal resistance is the resistance of the circuit's internal components.

2. Why is Thevenin voltage and internal resistance important in circuit analysis?

Thevenin voltage and internal resistance help simplify complex circuits into simpler equivalent circuits, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit.

3. How do you calculate Thevenin voltage and internal resistance?

Thevenin voltage can be calculated by finding the voltage across the output terminals of the circuit when the load is disconnected. Internal resistance can be calculated by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit without the load.

4. What are the applications of Thevenin voltage and internal resistance?

Thevenin voltage and internal resistance are used in various applications such as circuit design, troubleshooting, and predicting the behavior of a circuit under different load conditions.

5. Can Thevenin voltage and internal resistance be used in all types of circuits?

Yes, Thevenin voltage and internal resistance can be used in both DC and AC circuits, as long as the circuit is linear and contains only resistive elements.