Please help me design a portable breaker tripping device

In summary, the conversation is about designing a portable breaker testing device that can withstand high currents and temperatures. The device needs to have a simple mechanism and fit into a small space. The user is seeking advice on what type of switch and wires to use, as well as what substance to coat the wires with to prevent melting. They are also considering using a rc delay module and are willing to spend up to $500 on materials. The conversation also mentions the potential danger of using this device and the need for a mechanism to shut it off in case of a CB failure. The expert advises using an SCR or Triac static switch and warns that the user may not have the necessary background knowledge to safely build this device.
beamthegreat
Hi! I am going to be as brief as possible in this question.

Im currently trying to design a portable breaker testing device that has a very simple mechanism. Basically, this device must be very small and should be able to fit into something like this:http://goo.gl/BuZ6U

When I insert this device the amperage would probably shoot up to around 400-500 amps albeit for a split second before the breaker trips. However, this is probably enough to melt copper and maybe even iron.

I want to known what type of switch i have to use to withstand the extraordinarily high current caused by an intentionally short circuit. I am going to install a rc delay module into this device as well so that when i press the switch it will cause a 2-3 second delay before the solenoid/relay activates. So what switch/relay should I use?

Additionally, what types of wires should I use? A copper wire surely would not be strong enough to withstand such high temperatures and pressure cause by a short circuit. What materials should I use instead?

Also, what substance should I use to coat the area around the wires to prevent the case from melting?

I willing to speed a maximum of 500 dollars which should be more than enough to purchase some rare/expensive materials suitable for my purpose since I will using a very small amount of it.

I estimate that the temperature would probably heat up to around 500-700 Celsius for a fraction of a second when in use.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
IF you are looking to trip a CB with the instantaneous function - you will not generate too much heat ( these typically kick in at 10X the breaker frame rating). If you want to trip over a time delay ( 120% of the rating) - then it may be more difficult. But for 400-500A for less than 1 Second can be carried by a surprisingly small conductor.
The device you are looking to build would be dangerous - or at least using it would be. The Real problem is how does the device handle then the CB under test does not operate - how will your device survive / shut off, etc. The housing you show would be rather small to do what you are looking to do - but perhaps 2 - 3 x that size.I would still have it fused - or some other "solid" protection - and that alone will take up some space.

Thanks for the response.

Im planning to trip the CB with an instantaneous function, however, I will not be using any resistor which will probably cause the amperage to shoot up really fast. So even if the breaker trips at 10x the normal amperage, I believe it might exceed that limit (I could be wrong).

I understand that this kind of device would be kind of dangerous. One of my solution is to program my device so that the relay automatically stops after 1 second. However, I can't seem to find any small relay that can withstand that much current and continuing to function properly. The ones I can find are too big for my purposes.

Additionally, I previously stated that there will be a 2-3 second delay after the user activates it so that in the worst case, it will not explode in front of the user.

Another option would be to use a fuse, but like you said, it will take too much space.

Could you offer some advice on some other mechanism to shut it off in case it the CB fails to trip? If possible I would like it to be as small as possible. And if this matters, money is not really as issue for me.

Thank you very much.

You may find a suitable circuit design using an SCR static switch. Or a Triac static switch.

Thanks! I have a quick question: Will configuring a TRIAC thyristor into a parallel arrangement help split the amperage between them evenly?

For example, if I arranged 15 TRIAC thyristor rated at 10 amps each in a parallel configuration willit able to handle 150 amps altogether? Or is opening 15 thyristor simultaneously too risky since it might not activate at the same time causing too much current to pass to 1 or 2 TRIAC switch which might cause a domino effect that destroys all of the switches altogether?

Again, Thank you very much for all your help.

If you are having to ask these questions on a web forum, you do not have the background to safely do this. Thread is locked.

1. How does a portable breaker tripping device work?

A portable breaker tripping device works by using a small electrical circuit that is connected to the main circuit breaker. When the device is activated, it sends a signal to trip the main breaker, thereby cutting off power to the connected electrical devices.

2. What is the purpose of a portable breaker tripping device?

The main purpose of a portable breaker tripping device is to provide a quick and easy way to disconnect power in case of emergency situations, such as electrical fires or overloaded circuits. It can also be used for routine maintenance or repairs on electrical systems.

3. Can a portable breaker tripping device be used for all types of circuit breakers?

No, portable breaker tripping devices are designed to work with specific types of circuit breakers. It is important to check the compatibility of the device with the type of circuit breaker it will be used with.

4. How do I choose the right portable breaker tripping device for my needs?

When choosing a portable breaker tripping device, consider the type of circuit breaker it will be used with, the voltage and current ratings, and any additional features such as LED indicators or built-in surge protection. It is also important to ensure that the device is certified by a reputable safety organization.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a portable breaker tripping device?

Yes, it is important to carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer when using a portable breaker tripping device. Always make sure the device is compatible with the circuit breaker and use it only for its intended purpose. It is also recommended to have a trained professional install the device to ensure proper functioning and safety.