What Is the Maximum Value of x for Points on a Plane and Sphere in 3D Geometry?

• Thread starter jingu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Olympiad
In summary, (x,y,z)∈R^3 are points that lie on the plane x+2y+3z=78 and the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=468. The intersection of a plane and a sphere is a circle, and finding the equation of this circle involves solving the equations simultaneously. The maximum value of x can be found by finding the radius of this circle, but there are multiple approaches to solving this problem. The value of a+b can then be calculated once the maximum value of x is known.
jingu
(x,y,z)∈R^3 are points that lie on the plane x+2y+3z=78, and lie on the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=468. The maximum value of x has the form a/b, where a and b are coprime positive integers. What is the value of a+b?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint: How does the intersection of a plane and a sphere look like?
Once you know the maximum value of x, calculating a+b should be easy.

hello friend, i even don't know from which topic is this question,help?

mfb said:
Here is a hint: How does the intersection of a plane and a sphere look like?
Once you know the maximum value of x, calculating a+b should be easy.
i even don't know from which topic is this question,please help?

Last edited:
So can anyone give me its complete solution,?

so that I can understand the concept.

Can you first answer mfb's question? What does the intersection of a sphere and a plane look like? What kind of figure is that?

You can find the equation of that graph by solving the two equations, x+2y+3z=78, and [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=468[/itex] simultaneously. Since that is two equations in three variables, you can solve for two, say x and y, in terms of the third.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be a circle.Please check whether I am correct or not...

then what to do, you guys just tell me the steps I will do all by my own,so what will be the next step?

mfb said:
It is a circle, right.
then i think we have to find the radius of this circle...am i correct...?

That is possible. I used a different approach, but there are many ways to solve this.

Can you link the source of the question? If it is not a current question, I might give more hints.

mfb said:
That is possible. I used a different approach, but there are many ways to solve this.

Can you link the source of the question? If it is not a current question, I might give more hints.

yes give me hints...

I think the radius is 5.78, and that is not the answer...help!

FAQ: What Is the Maximum Value of x for Points on a Plane and Sphere in 3D Geometry?

1. How do I approach solving this olympiad question?

To solve an olympiad question, it is important to first read and understand the question carefully. Identify what is being asked and then break down the problem into smaller parts. Use any given information or hints to guide your approach and try to think logically and creatively to find a solution.

2. What are some strategies for solving olympiad questions?

There are several strategies you can use to solve olympiad questions. Some common ones include working backwards, making a diagram or drawing, using trial and error, and looking for patterns or similarities with other problems you have solved.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for olympiads?

To improve your problem-solving skills for olympiads, it is important to practice regularly. Solve as many problems as you can, and try to challenge yourself with increasingly difficult questions. Additionally, work on developing your critical thinking and logical reasoning abilities.

4. Can you provide some tips for time management during olympiad exams?

Time management is crucial during olympiad exams. It is important to read and understand the question quickly, and then allocate your time effectively for each part of the question. Avoid getting stuck on one problem for too long and remember to check your answers for any mistakes before time runs out.

5. How can I prepare for an olympiad competition?

To prepare for an olympiad competition, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may be asked. You can also participate in mock olympiads or study with a group to gain different perspectives and learn from others. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and stay calm and focused during the competition.

Back