1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this problem

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    cos(θ)^x+sin(θ)^x=1
    find the number of real values of x satisfying this equation

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    the answer given is 1 which is 2.which is obvious but i don't know how to prove that it is the only solution available

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

You want to prove there is no x, other than 2, which gives equality for all values of θ.

Choose any particular θ and show that the only x-value for that particular θ which gives equality is x=2 (that would prove it, right?)

What particular value of θ might it be easy to show this for?

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    thank you for replying sir,i want to prove that 2 is the only solution possible.

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

When you say "the only solution possible," what you really mean is, "the only solution possible for all values of θ" right?

If you were to choose a particular value of θ and prove that 2 is the only solution for that θ, then that would prove what you want, because if x is not 2 then x does not solve it for that particular θ you chose.
    This means you only have to prove it for any single value of θ. Do you agree?

I didn't want to hint at it too much, but if you choose the θ such that cosθ=sinθ then you can factor together the exponent x and complete the proof.

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5
    thank you sir, from there i will try on my own

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted