Solve Mass Suspended from Uniform Boom

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the tension in a horizontal cable supporting a mass suspended from a uniform boom at an angle. The individual discussing the problem asks for help with their attempted solution and is directed to reconsider the use of cosine and sine functions. They are then instructed to switch the functions for the different components of the problem.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

A mass M=171 kg is suspended from the end of a uniform boom as shown. The boom (mass=83.0 kg, length=2.40 m) is at an angle θ=69.0 deg from the vertical, and is supported at its mid-point by a horizontal cable and by a pivot at its base. Calculate the tension in the horizontal cable.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/NikkiNik88/staticsboom.gif

Homework Equations

T=rsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Theta = 69 deg, alpha=21 deg

mg(L/2)cos(theta) + Mg(L)cos(theta) + T(L/2)sin(alpha) = 0

When I solved for T I got 4169.25N but that is incorrect please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using cosine for mg(L/2) and sine for the others, instead of the other way round? Think more carefully about which functions you should use.

Would I be using sine for the masses because they are vertical and cosine for the tension because it's horizontal? If that's the case, is the rest of my work correct if I switch sine and cosine?

NikkiNik said:
Would I be using sine for the masses because they are vertical and cosine for the tension because it's horizontal? If that's the case, is the rest of my work correct if I switch sine and cosine?

Yes! So:

mg(L/2)sin(theta) + Mg(L)sin(theta) + T(L/2)cos(theta) = 0

The answer you get will be negative, but that's only because the tension acts to counteract the torque applied by gravity.

1. How do I calculate the tension in a mass suspended from a uniform boom?

The tension in a mass suspended from a uniform boom can be calculated using the equation T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the boom and the vertical.

2. What is the ideal angle for suspending a mass from a uniform boom?

The ideal angle for suspending a mass from a uniform boom is 90 degrees, as this provides the maximum tension and minimizes stress on the boom.

3. How does the length of the boom affect the tension in a suspended mass?

The longer the boom, the higher the tension in a suspended mass will be. This is because a longer boom creates a larger lever arm, increasing the torque and therefore the tension.

4. Can I use this equation to solve for the tension in a non-uniform boom?

No, this equation only applies to a uniform boom where the weight is evenly distributed. For a non-uniform boom, more complex equations and calculations are necessary.

5. How does the weight of the boom itself affect the tension in a suspended mass?

The weight of the boom itself can affect the tension in a suspended mass by adding to the overall weight that must be supported. This can be taken into account by including the weight of the boom in the equation for tension.