Please help with a friction problem (due tomorrow)

• Thread starter StevieRayT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the coefficient of friction between a 22kg chair and the floor is 0.04, as determined by using the equation F = ukN and calculating the value of uk.
Determine the coefficient of friction between a 22kg chair and the floor if it requires 15J to push it 1.8m (We're doing a Kinetic and Potential energy unit)

Answer for mu is .04, but can you help me in getting there, we have a test tomorrow!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
StevieRayT said:
Determine the coefficient of friction between a 22kg chair and the floor if it requires 15J to push it 1.8m (We're doing a Kinetic and Potential energy unit)

Answer for mu is .04, but can you help me in getting there, we have a test tomorrow!Thanks in advance!
This is not were you post homework questions. To answer your problem though.

F = ukN
uk = F / MG
W = D * F
F = W / D
uk = W / MGD
uk = (15) / (22)(9.8)(1.8)
uk = 0.46

1. What is friction and why is it important?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important because it helps us walk, drive, and perform many other daily activities. It also allows us to control the speed and direction of objects.

2. How do I calculate friction?

Friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction can be found in reference tables or determined through experiments.

3. What factors affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants. Temperature and velocity can also affect friction to a certain extent.

4. How can I reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction. In some cases, decreasing the force pressing the surfaces together can also reduce friction.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact. However, it can be reduced to a very low level by using extremely smooth surfaces and specialized lubricants.

Suggested for: Please help with a friction problem (due tomorrow)

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views