Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please Help With A Physics Problem

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    here is the problem.

A cannon shoots a 6 lb shell straight up. It reaches its maximum height, 1024 feet, and splits into two pieces, 2 lb and 4 lb. The two pieces are observed to strike the ground simultaneously. The 4 lb piece hits the ground 1600 feet away from the explosion(measured along the x AXIS)

a. How long would it have taken the shell to return to the ground if it had not split?

I found the TIME=8 seconds.

b.Find the velocity of each of the two pieces just after the explosion.

2lb piece - 400 ft/s
    4lb piece - 200ft/s

AND PART "C" is where I get stuck!!! PLEASE HELP HERE.
    Here is part "C"

c. Find the momentum of each piece just before they strike the ground.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO.
    Please Help

The answer in the book is
    2lb piece - p(vector) = -25i(unit vector)x - 16i(unit vector)z
    4lb piece - p(vector) = 25i(unit vector)x - 32i(unit vector)z

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2
    I know its something easy but i just can't get it :(

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3
    Unless there's something I'm missing, you should be able to just use p=mv.

Just make sure to use velocity at the instant of interest, not immediately after separation.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    I tried, but I don't know what to use for my initial momentum and my final momentum.

It is just so weird looking... I mean.. the velocity is Vx +Vy but.. the numbers are too big to get such a numbers.

i have no clue...

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5
    If im not mistaken it dosent matter what mass something is. A 6lb. weight will hit the ground the same time as a 4lb and a 2lb as long as they are at the same height. And from what you said they spit at their max height.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook