Please identify these sink worms

• Thread starter mieral
  • Start date
In summary, sink worms are small, thread-like worms that can be found in household sinks and drains. They are harmless to humans and pets and are attracted to moist and dark environments. To get rid of them, thoroughly cleaning the affected area and fixing any leaks or cracks is recommended.
mieral
BzRFe4.jpg

I always found them in my bathroom lavatory sink bottom.. they are about 0.4inches (10mm) long.. they don't seem to be mosquito or moth larvae.. when I put them 2 inches under water, they can't float up but they can still breath.. what are their source of food underwater and what are these worms exactly called?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think these are what are called drain flies or sewer flies. This link has some pictures that look very much like your picture. Google either term and you will find many links to their life cycle and how to control them.

1. What are sink worms?

Sink worms are small, segmented worms that are commonly found in household sinks and drains. They are also known as drain worms or sewer worms.

2. How do I identify sink worms?

Sink worms are typically less than an inch long and have a thin, thread-like appearance. They can range in color from white to gray to brown. They also have small bristles or hairs along their body.

3. Are sink worms harmful?

No, sink worms are not harmful to humans or pets. They do not bite or sting and are not known to carry any diseases.

4. How do sink worms end up in my sink?

Sink worms are attracted to the moist and dark environment of drains and pipes. They can enter through small cracks or openings in the pipes or can be brought in through food or debris that gets washed down the sink.

5. How can I get rid of sink worms?

The best way to get rid of sink worms is to thoroughly clean out the affected drain or sink. This includes removing any debris or food particles that may be attracting the worms. Using a drain cleaner or boiling water can also help to kill any remaining worms. It is important to also fix any leaky pipes or cracks to prevent future infestations.