Please look over my Academic Suspension appeal

In summary, xxxxxxxx was unable to maintain an adequate GPA and not performing well in classes. xxxxxxxx tried to get help from xxx college resources but was not successful. xxxxxxxx lost confidence in himself and could not focus on classes he wanted to take. xxxxxxxx decided to change majors to Liberal Arts and took classes over the summer to prepare for his remaining classes.
micromass said:
There very little you can say to "make them believe". But there are many things you can do. Having an advisor, professor or counciller by your side would help your case a lot.

But should I provide my plan for the following Junior year, like the classes I plan on taking for both the fall and spring semester. Should I let them know I am re-studying my Calculus and Chemistry notes for when I am taking the next classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ricster55 said:
But should I provide my plan for the following Junior year, like the classes I plan on taking for both the fall and spring semester. Should I let them know I am re-studying my Calculus and Chemistry notes for when I am taking the next classes?

Sure, but it won't be all that helpful.

micromass said:
Sure, but it won't be all that helpful.
How would it not be helpful? At least I am letting them know my plan for the upcoming Junior Year? Do I have to tell them the hours I plan on studying as well. What about telling them that I will take advantage of the resources given to me such as tutors, going to professors office for help, etc?

Ricster55 said:
How would it not be helpful? At least I am letting them know my plan for the upcoming Junior Year? Do I have to tell them the hours I plan on studying as well. What about telling them that I will take advantage of the resources given to me such as tutors, going to professors office for help, etc?

You still don't get it do you? They don't want words and promises from you. They want proof and evidence that you'll keep your promises.

micromass said:
You still don't get it do you? They don't want words and promises from you. They want proof and evidence that you'll keep your promises.

That is what I'm trying to point out. Along with an advisors note of my promises, I want to show them my plan for the next year as well to support my appeal.

Ricster55 said:
That is what I'm trying to point out. Along with an advisors note of my promises, I want to show them my plan for the next year as well to support my appeal.

I honestly don't see any reassurance and guarantees for the committee.

Ricster55 said:

They do not want your advisor to say "Ricster55 promises A, B, and C." They want your advisor to say "I have spoken with Ricster55, and after making a solid plan with him, I truly believe that he has the capability to succeed."

After reading 3 pages of this, I have come to an unpleasant conclusion: the committee should reject your appeal.

First, you need to understand what you are asking of them. You have not succeeded in college. If they let you go, they can admit one more student - a student who might succeed where you have not. If they give you a second chance, they are depriving that student of her first chance. You need a powerful argument because if you prevail, the college has to tell that other student that she cannot attend. The bar is high.

Your English skills are not where they need to be for college. This will affect you not just for this letter but throughout college. In short, you are not adequately prepared for college. This may not be entirely your fault, but it is nevertheless true.

The plan you present isn't even consistent. Are you going to drop classes that are not required, or are you going to take them in the shorter term?

If "taking notes" is a new thing for you, something that will make the difference, you are in big trouble. If you did this before, this isn't a change. If you didn't even take notes before, that means that you didn't take college even a tiny bit seriously. Neither case is good.

As others have pointed out 4-6 hours per class makes no sense. If daily, it's impossible. If weekly, it's insufficient. The fact that you haven't clarified this despite repeated requests does not bode well.

Sorry, but you've demonstrated that you are unprepared, and you have not produced a credible plan to turn things around. If you don't change these things, the outcome will be the same. The committee knows this, and they know it would be irresponsible of them to readmit you.

The sort of plan that they will need to see looks like this:
  1. I will take remedial English and the following N other classes to get my preparation up to speed.
  2. I will take a reduced load from now until graduation to ensure I can handle the work.
  3. Here is my proposed course schedule from now until graduation. Note that a) it's consistent with #2, and b) my advisor has signed off on this. See his attached letter.
  4. I will take the following N specific actions to improve my study habits. These actions need to be of the form "I will attend the following sessions from the college counseling center" and not "maybe the library is a better place to study".
That still might not work, but it is a lot more likely to work than any of the drafts you posted so far.

Last edited:
Likes micromass, StatGuy2000 and CalcNerd
Personally I think that it would be better for you not to make this application .

Surely a more productive strategy would be for you to take a year to get yourself straightened out .

Decide whether you really want to pursue academic studies or not .

If you do then take some classes - at community colleges or wherever else is available - to allow you catch up academically .

You may find when taking classes second time around that the work comes much easier to you .

In a years time - and with you well prepared and with solid achievements to demonstrate - make your application for re-admission then or perhaps better apply afresh to some entirely new college .

Last edited:
Likes StatGuy2000
Check if your college has courses on time management, public speaking or other things. Taking those would be a good idea.

<h2>1. What is an Academic Suspension appeal?</h2><p>An Academic Suspension appeal is a formal request to review a decision made by a university or academic institution to suspend a student from their academic program. This typically occurs when a student's academic performance falls below the minimum standards set by the institution.</p><h2>2. How do I submit an Academic Suspension appeal?</h2><p>The process for submitting an Academic Suspension appeal varies depending on the institution. However, it typically involves filling out a form or writing a letter explaining the reasons for the appeal and providing any supporting documentation. It is important to follow the specific guidelines and deadlines set by the institution.</p><h2>3. What should I include in my Academic Suspension appeal?</h2><p>Your appeal should include a clear and concise explanation of the reasons for your academic struggles, any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to your performance, and a plan for how you will improve and succeed in the future. It is also important to provide any relevant documentation, such as medical records or letters of support.</p><h2>4. What are the chances of a successful Academic Suspension appeal?</h2><p>The success of an Academic Suspension appeal depends on a variety of factors, including the specific circumstances and the strength of your appeal. It is important to provide a compelling and well-supported argument, as well as to demonstrate a genuine desire to improve and succeed in your academic studies.</p><h2>5. What happens after I submit my Academic Suspension appeal?</h2><p>After you submit your appeal, it will be reviewed by a committee or individual designated by the institution. They will consider your reasons for the appeal, any supporting documentation, and your academic record. You will be notified of the decision in writing, typically within a few weeks. If your appeal is successful, you will be allowed to continue your academic studies. If it is not successful, you may have the option to reapply at a later date or explore other academic options.</p>

1. What is an Academic Suspension appeal?

An Academic Suspension appeal is a formal request to review a decision made by a university or academic institution to suspend a student from their academic program. This typically occurs when a student's academic performance falls below the minimum standards set by the institution.

2. How do I submit an Academic Suspension appeal?

The process for submitting an Academic Suspension appeal varies depending on the institution. However, it typically involves filling out a form or writing a letter explaining the reasons for the appeal and providing any supporting documentation. It is important to follow the specific guidelines and deadlines set by the institution.

3. What should I include in my Academic Suspension appeal?

Your appeal should include a clear and concise explanation of the reasons for your academic struggles, any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to your performance, and a plan for how you will improve and succeed in the future. It is also important to provide any relevant documentation, such as medical records or letters of support.

4. What are the chances of a successful Academic Suspension appeal?

The success of an Academic Suspension appeal depends on a variety of factors, including the specific circumstances and the strength of your appeal. It is important to provide a compelling and well-supported argument, as well as to demonstrate a genuine desire to improve and succeed in your academic studies.

5. What happens after I submit my Academic Suspension appeal?

After you submit your appeal, it will be reviewed by a committee or individual designated by the institution. They will consider your reasons for the appeal, any supporting documentation, and your academic record. You will be notified of the decision in writing, typically within a few weeks. If your appeal is successful, you will be allowed to continue your academic studies. If it is not successful, you may have the option to reapply at a later date or explore other academic options.