Please motivate me to carry on with my PhD

• Thread starter bardeen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation revolves around a graduate student who is questioning their decision to pursue a PhD in physics and is now considering a career in finance for financial stability. They are also worried about finding a potential partner and balancing their personal life with their academic pursuits. Some individuals in the conversation share their own experiences and offer advice to the student.
bardeen
(or tell me whatever your opinion is)

I am in my second summer as a graduate student and have reached a point where I am questioning all my decisions. I used to think that what was most important in my professional life was that I be doing something I loved (and that it at least payed decently). For some reason, I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to think that money is more important, and even though I still love physics, I am not sure if it's worthy enough to choose it over easier money. So I'm thinking that maybe it was a better idea to have done a master in finance or something like that, and get more money faster. The PhD in physics might lead to good money, but there's a lot of work in between, whereas for some reason I picture everything else as being a piece of cake. This is one point where I might be very mistaken. Adding to all this, I've gotten to an age where I'm hoping to find a good woman with whom to eventually build a family. So for that purpose, I want to be financially stable as soon as possible.
If I carry on with the PhD, I have two options at graduation: go on with the traditional academic route, or opt for industry. Since I'm starting to lean more towards industry, why should I waste any more time with my physics research in my PhD, rather than going straight to work or studying something more closely related?
I'm sure these doubts I'm having are common among physics grad students, so I would be very happy if some of you shared your stories and/or comments. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was making the choice to keep doing onward to a PhD or drop out with my masters I tested the career water. I sent out my resume to various prospects and see how many replies I got and how well the interview went. So by the time I had to make a decision, I had real job offers to follow up on instead of just speculating at what is possible.*

It would behoove you to see if you are actually employable to a job with your current education and experience instead of finding out afterwards. This will also let you see where your heart lies. Does a financial future appeal to you much more than doing physics? Who knows, but once you actually have options to pick from, you'll be in a better position to decide.

*For your information, I choose money over a phd, which ironically, now I'm leaving money for a phd. My wife makes twice as much as I do now, so I have that option :).

I recently finished my PhD, and I have to say that I questioned myself for the majority of it. Not for a lack of interest or ability, but because of my personality. I am a supremely optimistic and happy person. I find enjoyment in so many different areas of life that I know that I could be happy doing anything as a job. I can program, engineer, rebuild engines, do drywall, plumbing, electric, landscaping, teach, etc. and be happy doing it.

This makes it tough to go for something that I love doing, but know that I won't be paid as well as another career (say, engineering, where I should be QUITE employable, and will love it just as much). I had a job offer for some engineering job right out of bachelors before my PhD for about 60K USD, which is about median here, but I turned it down to go back to school. Now I wonder if I would have been happier taking it and just working my way up. I won't make that much money until I finish post-docs and its been so many years, and I'd probably be in the 90s by now, have a house, nice toys, and enjoy my time.

But I still love physics; its challenging, fun, interesting, respected, acceptably paid, and there is plenty of room for development. So I think I'll stick with it :)

If one can, go for the PhD! Espeically if one is single, i.e., without a family to support.

I quit near the end, and if I can, I'd like to go back an finish one, since a lot of my work is cutting edge, innovative, and original/independent. I work with many PhD in government research and industry.

It's not a waste of time. One is supposed to contribute to the state-of-the-art and expand the envelope, as well as demonstrate original thinking and the capability to accomplish independent research.

So just do it!
MarneMath said:
. . . . , now I'm leaving money for a phd. My wife makes twice as much as I do now, so I have that option :).
It helps to have a supportive spouse. :approve:

bardeen said:
(or tell me whatever your opinion is)
I'm old with a Physics BS and my biggest life's regret was not going to Graduate school. :cry:

Oh. And I'm poor. So money was never a consideration.

Thanks all! I'm more motivated to carry on!
One more thing... how does one date while doing a PhD? It's really tough since it's almost all guys in physics grad school and it's hard to find the time to go out and meet girls. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a wife-material type of girl :)

bardeen said:
Thanks all! I'm more motivated to carry on!
One more thing... how does one date while doing a PhD? It's really tough since it's almost all guys in physics grad school and it's hard to find the time to go out and meet girls. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a wife-material type of girl :)
Bascially, date like one would do as an undergrad. I married after my BS, so was married during my MS and PhD programs.

Dating is an opportunity to learn about each other. Simply find a nice woman, and just start spending some moments together, e.g., go for coffee or lunch. Then see where that goes.

I considered all of my dates as potential wives.

bardeen said:
One more thing... how does one date while doing a PhD?

Uh, I think you don't. There's that joke about priesthood and science phd's being similar in that regard...

I would follow Mathmarne's advice, don't do anything rash and quit without having a solid job(s) lined up, not in this economy. I echo dlgoff's sentiments, though I'm technically not "old".

If you don't like your research area that much, then I would advise changing research field if it's a possibility. Sticking through years of doing poorly paid work for something you don't like is a recipe for disaster. Enjoying what you do for most of the week will definitely make living the frugal lifestyle of a grad student more tolerable. If you're used to a more lavish lifestyle like most middle class American families, I understand it's a big shock to most, especially if everyone around you (family, old classmates from school or uni) is making more money than you and/or talk down to you for being a poor into your late 20's/30's.

It seems like people who come from poorer backgrounds are not affected by this drama, since even a grad school stipend and their subsequent job prospects are a HUGE step up for them financially from where they are coming.

1. How can I stay motivated during my PhD program?

Motivation can be a challenge during a PhD program, but there are several things you can do to stay motivated. First, set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. Additionally, try to find a support system, whether it's friends, family, or other graduate students, who can provide encouragement and accountability. It's also important to schedule breaks and self-care activities to avoid burnout. Finally, remember your passion for your research and the potential impact it can have.

2. What should I do if I'm feeling overwhelmed or burnt out during my PhD?

Feeling overwhelmed and burnt out is common during a PhD program, but it's important to address it before it becomes a bigger issue. First, take a step back and assess your workload and commitments. Are there any tasks that can be delegated or rescheduled? It's also important to communicate with your advisor and let them know if you're feeling overwhelmed. They may be able to provide guidance or resources to help. Finally, prioritize self-care and make time for activities that bring you joy and relaxation.

3. How can I maintain a work-life balance during my PhD?

Maintaining a work-life balance during a PhD can be challenging, but it's important for your overall well-being. It's important to set boundaries and prioritize your time. Make a schedule that includes time for work, self-care, and activities outside of your research. Also, don't be afraid to say no to extra commitments or tasks that may interfere with your work-life balance. Remember that taking breaks and taking care of yourself will ultimately make you more productive in the long run.

4. What can I do if I'm feeling stuck or unmotivated in my research?

Feeling stuck or unmotivated in research is a common struggle for PhD students. One way to combat this is to seek out new perspectives and ideas. Attend conferences, workshops, and seminars in your field to gain new insights and connect with other researchers. Additionally, try to collaborate with other graduate students or faculty members on projects. Sometimes a fresh perspective can help reignite your motivation. If all else fails, don't be afraid to take a short break to recharge and come back to your research with a clear mind.

5. How can I manage the stress and pressure of a PhD program?

The stress and pressure of a PhD program can be overwhelming, but there are ways to manage it. First, make sure you have a good support system in place, whether it's friends, family, or mental health professionals. It's also important to prioritize self-care and relaxation activities, such as exercise, meditation, or hobbies. Additionally, communicate with your advisor and let them know if you're feeling overwhelmed. They may be able to provide resources or guidance. Finally, remember to celebrate your accomplishments and give yourself breaks when needed.