Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pleistocene meteor crater on Greenland

1. Nov 14, 2018 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-huge-crater-greenland-impact-northern.html
    Paywall: advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/11/eaar8173

A 31 km wide crater in Northern Greenland has been hidden under a massive glacier, until now. Using new radar systems and older technologies, the authors document the existence of a newly found massive crater. Getting a date on the impact event is currently fuzzy. They estimate it occurred in the Pleistocene which is a lot of time. (circa 2,588,000 to 11,700 years ago, more than a 2 million year span) . They estimate the iron meteor was 1 km wide.

If you have an interest in punctual paleoclimate changes, then this research project - down the road - may be an interesting read as the subsequent planned research continues. There is a potential debris field, not proven yet, that is the next object of interest for the researchers.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2018 #2
  4. Nov 15, 2018 #3

BillTre

Science Advisor

I was about to post on this.
    The article explains much more about how the discovery came about as well as speculation about how the impact could have lead to the Younger Dryas period of cooling (fresh water from the impact melted ice disrupting the water flow in the N. Atlantic) which further speculation deals with how it might have affected North American mega fauna and the Clovis culture.
    They did not want to put that in the original article because it was speculative and would raise lots of questions tangental to their crater discovery.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  5. Nov 16, 2018 #4
    Curious coincidence alert:
    IIRC, if you look at the Iceland hot-spot back-track, it passes under that region at approx 80~100 MY.
    Could this feature be much, much older than Pleistocene ??
    I know there's a long and unfortunate history of impact craters being mistaken for odd volcanic features, could this be a rare example of the converse ?

FWIW, I'd be delighted if this feature is an impact crater of Pleistocene era, wholly or partly responsible for the very wide tektite 'strewn field'...

6. Nov 16, 2018 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

No, definitely not !!
    volcanic eruptions don't form shocked quartz

which tektite strewn field are you referring to ?

I know of no known strewn field that isn't already related to a known impact

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. Nov 16, 2018 #6
    Ah, the N. American tektites have been tied to the Chesapeake Bay feature ~34 MY.
    My Bad.

8. Nov 16, 2018 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

yup

9. Nov 24, 2018 #8
  10. Nov 24, 2018 #9
    There is a strewn field possibly related to the Hiawatha Crater Discovery. Its is the Younger Dryas . Boundary field and was documented in a paper I co-authored here, if you have any questions.: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/28/E1903

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted