1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plot motion of particle with constant speed and angular velocity

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    Consider the problem of a particle sliding inwards with a constant speed c and starting at radius R=pc/Ω, on a platform rotating with a constant angular velocity Ω. Give a plot of the trajectory of the particle from r=R to r=0, for p=0.5, 1, 2, 6.

I'm a little confused on how to do this. If there is no acceleration, then would the plot just be a series of straight lines? And should I plot r vs t even though time isn't mentioned at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2
    "Sliding" would imply that there is no friction with the platform, in which case the trajectory should indeed be a straight line - in an inertial frame of reference. Are you perhaps supposed to find the trajectory in the platform's frame?

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Also, how can something slide inward if it's moving in circular motion? Wouldn't centripetal force cause it to slide outward?

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4
    That's why I think there is no friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook