Plot of greatest integer fuction

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem that involves finding the domain and range of various equations and determining whether certain values are included or excluded. The speaker is struggling to understand the concept and asks for help in creating a chart to better understand the equations. They also mention needing to broaden the range of values for better understanding.
sam92
I was given this homework today and without much explanation from the teacher , I can't find anything similar in my book,
1.- [[ x]] = [[y]] find outside domain/range , argue inclusion or exclusion
2.- compare and contrast (1) y=[[2x]] (2) y=2[[x]] (3) y= [[x/2]]
3.- state domain and range, plot
y { ( 1/4)x+1 , x<-1 ; [[ x]]-2 , -1 <= x<=5 ; (-1/2 ) x +1 ,5<x}

could someone help me, I usually understand math without any problem, but now I have little clue.
thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For number 1 can you make a sinple x y chart for your equation? Try something like

x | y

Try the same method for number 2

Try the same method for number 3 as well but broaden the range of values you try for x in order to cover all the possibilities.

Do you know what domain and range is? Do you know what inclusion and exclusion means?

What is the definition of the greatest integer function?

The greatest integer function, denoted as f(x) = [x], is a mathematical function that rounds down any real number to the nearest integer less than or equal to that number. For example, [3.7] = 3, [-2.3] = -3, and [5] = 5.

How is the greatest integer function graphed?

The graph of the greatest integer function is often referred to as the "step" or "staircase" function because it consists of horizontal line segments connected by vertical lines. The horizontal line segments represent the greatest integer value of the input, and the vertical lines represent the "jumps" or "steps" between each integer value.

What are the key properties of the greatest integer function?

Some key properties of the greatest integer function include:
- It is discontinuous at every integer value, meaning there is a "hole" in the graph at these points.
- It is a piecewise function, meaning it is defined by different equations for different parts of the input.
- It is always increasing, meaning the output value will never be less than the input value.
- It is not differentiable, meaning you cannot find a slope or tangent line at any point on the graph.

What are some real-world applications of the greatest integer function?

The greatest integer function can be used in various fields of science and mathematics, such as:
- Modeling population growth or decay
- Analyzing stock market trends
- Calculating the highest possible profit or lowest possible loss in economics
- Determining the maximum or minimum number of items that can fit in a container
- Approximating continuous functions or solving optimization problems.

How is the greatest integer function related to other mathematical functions?

The greatest integer function is closely related to the floor function, which also rounds down to the nearest integer. It can also be used in conjunction with other functions, such as the ceiling function or absolute value function, to solve more complex problems involving both integers and real numbers.