Plotting z^2-xy+1=0 with Mathematica - Interval around Origin

In summary, to plot the equation z^2-xy+1=0 in Mathematica, use the Plot3D function with the equation as the first argument and the variables (x, y) as the second argument. To specify an interval around the origin for the plot, use the PlotRange option. The color of the plot can be changed using the ColorFunction option. Labels and a title can be added using the LabelStyle and PlotLabel options. The plot can also be rotated and viewed from different angles using the ViewPoint and ViewVertical options.
heman
hi,i want to know the command which i have to give to plot this using mathematica.actually interval should be sufficient and near by origin.thx in advance.
z^2-xy+1=0

Physics news on Phys.org
First rearrange to get:

z = sqrt(xy - 1)

Then use something like

Plot3D[Sqrt[x y - 1],{x,1,10},{y,1,10}]

is a quadratic equation in two variables, z and x. In order to plot this equation, we can use the ContourPlot function in Mathematica. This function takes in an expression and plots the corresponding contour lines.

In this case, we can define the expression as z^2-xy+1 and use the ContourPlot function to plot it. The code for this would be:

ContourPlot[z^2 - x*y + 1 == 0, {x, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1}]

This will produce a plot with the interval around the origin (-1,1) for both x and z variables. You can adjust the interval as per your requirement.

Additionally, you can also use the RegionPlot function to plot the solution set for this equation. The code for this would be:

RegionPlot[z^2 - x*y + 1 <= 0, {x, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1}]

This will produce a shaded region around the origin, indicating the solutions of the equation.

I hope this helps. Happy plotting!

1. How do I plot z^2-xy+1=0 in Mathematica?

To plot this equation in Mathematica, you can use the Plot3D function with the equation as the first argument and the variables (x, y) as the second argument. This will generate a three-dimensional plot of the equation in the (x, y, z) coordinate system.

2. How can I specify an interval around the origin for the plot?

You can specify an interval around the origin by using the PlotRange option in the Plot3D function. For example, Plot3D[z^2-xy+1=0, {x,-1,1}, {y,-1,1}, PlotRange->{-1,1,-1,1}] will plot the equation within the interval [-1,1] for both the x and y axes.

3. Can I change the color of the plot?

Yes, you can change the color of the plot by using the ColorFunction option in the Plot3D function. You can choose from a variety of built-in color functions or create your own custom color function.

4. How do I add labels and a title to the plot?

You can add labels and a title to the plot by using the LabelStyle and PlotLabel options in the Plot3D function. For example, Plot3D[z^2-xy+1=0, {x,-1,1}, {y,-1,1}, LabelStyle->Directive[Black, Bold], PlotLabel->"Plot of z^2-xy+1=0"] will add a bold, black label and a title to the plot.

5. Is it possible to rotate the plot to view it from different angles?

Yes, you can rotate the plot by using the ViewPoint option in the Plot3D function. This option allows you to specify the point from which the plot is viewed. You can also use the ViewVertical option to change the orientation of the plot.