1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting bounded surfaces with conditions

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached question

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried rearranging S1 for Z then using Maple to plot it, which gave me a cone extending from the point z=1.

For S2, would I have to plot it twice? once for <1 and once for =1? I have no idea, any help would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

• Q31.jpg
      Q31.jpg
      File size:
      12.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

S2 is a circular disk in the x-y plane. The center of this disk is at (0, 0, 0) and the radius is 1. The equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 represents the circle, and the inequality x^2 + y^2 < 1 represents all the points inside the circle.

4. Apr 7, 2010 #3
    Oh! I was confused with the inequality more than anything.

So am I correct if the shape of S1+S2 is a cone? S2 being a disk on the xy-plane and S1 being a cone with the tip on the axis of z at 1, then extended to the xy-plane where it is bounded by S2?

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

Mark44

S1 U S2 is sort of cone shaped, with S2 forming the base. I don't think it has the same shape as, say the cone in ice cream cones or in tepees, which have vertical cross sections that are isosceles triangles. I believe that the vertical cross section for the S1 surface curves in and goes up to (0, 0, 1) more steeply.

I haven't graphed it, but that's what I think.

6. Apr 8, 2010 #5
    Hey mark44, thank for all your help so far, I went away and plotted the graph again, and this is what I got for S1, is it vaguely correct?

Attached Files:

7. Apr 9, 2010 #6

Mark44

Yep, looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook