Plotting Domain Dependent Functions

In summary, it is possible to use Python matplotlib to plot a domain dependent function on one graph by creating separate arrays of x and y values for each domain and then plotting them using the plot() function. The discontinuities can be shown by plotting multiple series and inserting (x, None) for the discontinuous points. Alternatively, the discontinuous line can be plotted all in one series by concatenating the continuous parts and inserting (x, None) for the discontinuous points.
e2m2a
TL;DR Summary
Can Python matplotlib plot domain dependent functions in one graph?
Is it possible for Python matplotlib to plot in one graph a domain dependent function? For example, suppose there is a function where y=x from 0< x <=5, y = x sq when 5<x<=7 and y=2x+9 when x>7. Is it possible in Python to plot this with one plot on one graph? If so, how would it be done?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
e2m2a said:
Is it possible for Python matplotlib to plot in one graph a domain dependent function? For example, suppose there is a function where y=x from x = 0 to x <=5, y = x sq when 5<x<=7 and y=2x+9 when x>7.
matplotlib plots points, it doesn't care how the points are calculated so the question becomes 'is it possible to write code in Python to populate a list of y values for a domain dependent fuction', and the answer is 'of course'.
e2m2a said:
If so, how would it be done?
Can you post code that plots ##y = 2x + 9##?

pbuk said:
matplotlib plots points, it doesn't care how the points are calculated so the question becomes 'is it possible to write code in Python to populate a list of y values for a domain dependent fuction', and the answer is 'of course'.

Can you post code that plots ##y = 2x + 9##?
Yes, I can do this. But I can't find any documentation or videos on how to plot a function that changes depending on the domain of x as described above. Would I concatenate the line function or arange function to accomplish this? Not sure how this can be done. Remember I want the whole function plotted as one function on one graph.

e2m2a said:
Yes, I can do this.
Then please do so and we can show you how to amend it for the DDF you have described.

e2m2a said:
Is it possible for Python matplotlib to plot in one graph a domain dependent function?
Echoing @pbuk, yes, this is possible.
Here's one that I just did that is similar to what you're trying to do.
Figure_1.png

I fiddled with the formulas to make a continuous graph.
$$f(x) = \begin{cases} x & 0 < x \le 5 \\ -(x - 7)^2 + 9 & 5 < x \le 9 \\ x - 4 & x > 9 \end{cases}$$
I used NumPy linspace() to create separate arrays of x values for the three different domains, and from them created arrays of the corresponding y values. Then it's straightforward to plot the three sets of x and y pairs.

Fantastic! But can you show me the code how you did this? How did you make this one continuous graph? DId you concatenate the arrays into one array? And then applied the plot function on the one array? Not clear how you did this.

Last edited:
e2m2a said:
Fantastic! But can you show me the code how you did this? How did you make this one continuous graph? DId you concatenate the arrays into one array? And then applied the plot function on the one array? Not clear how you did this.
There are a number of ways to do this which is why I keep asking you to post the way you would do it for a simple function and then we can show you how to do it for the more complicated one.

Anyway, as we now have one way of doing it here is how I would do it:
Python:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from numpy import linspace

def fn(x):
    if (x <= 0):
        return None
    if (x <= 5):
        return x
    if (x <= 7):
        return x * x
    # x > 7
    return 2 * x + 9

# Create x coordinates.
xList = linspace(-10, 10, 256)
# Calculate y coordinates using a list comprehension.
yList = [fn(x) for x in xList]

plt.plot(xList, yList)
plt.show()
And this is the result:
1643657949774.png

I am not sure if matplotlib can better show the discontinuities.

Likes Mark44
. I was thinking of doing it by creating a function but still was not clear on the details. Thank you for posting this.

pbuk said:
View attachment 296331
I am not sure if matplotlib can better show the discontinuities.

Probably requires plotting a different series for each domain.

Code:
import numpy as np

xs1 = np.linspace(0,5,11)
f1 = lambda x: x
ys1 = f1(xs1)
xs2 = np.linspace(5,7,5)
f2 = lambda x: x**2
ys2 = f2(xs2)
xs3 = np.linspace(7,10,7)
f3 = lambda x: 2*x+9
ys3 = f3(xs3)

fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.gca()
# Continuous parts

ax.plot(xs1, ys1, 'k-')
ax.plot(xs2,ys2, 'k-')
ax.plot(xs3,ys3, 'k-')

# End points of domains:
# Open circle if x-value is not included in that domain, filled circle if it is.
ax.plot([5.0, 7.0], [f1(5.0),f2(7.0)], 'ko')
ax.plot([5.0, 7.0], [f2(5.0), f3(7.0)], 
   marker='o', 
   fillstyle='none', 
   markeredgecolor='k', 
   linestyle='none'
)
ax.grid()

plt.show()

Figure_1.png

• Love
Likes Mark44 and pbuk
pasmith said:
Probably requires plotting a different series for each domain.

Code:
import numpy as np

xs1 = np.linspace(0,5,11)
f1 = lambda x: x
ys1 = f1(xs1)
xs2 = np.linspace(5,7,5)
f2 = lambda x: x**2
ys2 = f2(xs2)
xs3 = np.linspace(7,10,7)
f3 = lambda x: 2*x+9
ys3 = f3(xs3)

fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.gca()
# Continuous parts

ax.plot(xs1, ys1, 'k-')
ax.plot(xs2,ys2, 'k-')
ax.plot(xs3,ys3, 'k-')

# End points of domains:
# Open circle if x-value is not included in that domain, filled circle if it is.
ax.plot([5.0, 7.0], [f1(5.0),f2(7.0)], 'ko')
ax.plot([5.0, 7.0], [f2(5.0), f3(7.0)],
   marker='o',
   fillstyle='none',
   markeredgecolor='k',
   linestyle='none'
)
ax.grid()

plt.show()

View attachment 296333
That's much better than my amateur effort - glad a professional has arrived!

You can get the discontinuous line all in one series by replacing:
Python:
# Continuous parts

ax.plot(xs1, ys1, 'k-')
ax.plot(xs2,ys2, 'k-')
ax.plot(xs3,ys3, 'k-')
with
Python:
# Concatenate the continuous parts, inserting (x, None) for the discontinuities.
xsAll = np.concatenate((xs1, np.array([5.]), xs2, np.array([7.]), xs3))
ysAll = np.concatenate((ys1, np.array([None]), ys2, np.array([None]), ys3))

ax.plot(xsAll, ysAll, 'k-')

1. What is the purpose of plotting domain dependent functions?

The purpose of plotting domain dependent functions is to visually represent the relationship between two variables, where one variable (the independent variable or domain) affects the other variable (the dependent variable). This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and patterns of the function.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible values that the independent variable can take on. To determine the domain, one must consider any restrictions or limitations on the independent variable, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. Additionally, the domain can be determined by looking at the given function and identifying any values that would result in an undefined output.

3. Can a function have multiple domains?

No, a function can only have one domain. The domain must be consistent for all possible values of the independent variable. However, different functions can have the same domain.

4. How does the domain affect the graph of a function?

The domain can greatly impact the graph of a function. It determines which values of the independent variable will be represented on the x-axis, and thus, which points will be plotted on the graph. Changes in the domain can result in shifts, stretches, or compressions of the function's graph.

5. Why is it important to consider the domain when plotting a function?

Considering the domain when plotting a function is crucial because it ensures that the graph accurately represents the behavior of the function. It also allows for identifying any potential errors or limitations in the function, as well as understanding the range and variability of the function's output.