1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plotting the complex exp function in Maple?

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If we have [tex]y(x) = e^{i\cdot x}[/tex] where [tex]x\in [0,\pi][/tex]

How do I plot function in Maple? So it shows anything?

3. The attempt at a solution
    if I write

Code (Text):

I get an empty coordinate system. Do I need to add some more code to get it to display properly?

p.s. I know [tex]e^{i\cdot t} = cos(t) + i \cdot sin(t)[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

what do you hope to see - note if you're trying to do a 2D plot have you thought through how you can even plot a complex function?

a 2D plot is generally a scalar function of a single variable

it might be better to plot the magnitude and phase or the real and imaginary parts which are each scalars so can be plotted in 2D against x
  4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    So what I do here is that I take the real part of complex exp function and plot it along the x-axis and imaginary part along the y-axis?

where cos(t) is real part and i*sin(t) the img part.

EDIT: I plot the real part cos(t) along the interval zero to Pi that gives the real Cosine function while the imaginary part along the same interval i*sin(t) me nothing.

Can that be right? because i*sin(0) = 0 and i*sin(Pi) =0.

So all in the plot of complex exp function along the interval [0,Pi] is simply the real cosine function?
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

you have to decide what you want to plot... i can't tell you what it is you want to do...

but...if you have a complex number z = a + ib, then a & b are both scalars, a is the real part, & b is the imaginary part.

hence why you can't plot isin(x), that is still a complex number, to plot the imaginary part you just plot sin(t).

if you want x to vary in the interval and plot the real part of [itex] e^{ix} [/itex] along the y axis, and the imaginary part along the z axis. Then parametrically you would plot
    [tex] x(t) = t[/tex]
    [tex] y(t) = cos(t)[/tex]
    [tex] z(t) = sin(t)[/tex]

and the curve will look like part of a spiral with its central axis along the x axis
  6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    I may have a whole in my knowledge so please excuse me :) But the reason that I only need to plot the the scalars a and b of z= cos(t) + i*sin(t) is its impossible to view i*sin(t) as a point by itself graphically?

Why must I do a 3D plot? Can't I do a 2D plot?
  7. Apr 19, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

once again you can do whatever you want, you just have to decide - you could plot both the real and imaginary part of the function as 2 separate curves in 2D... on the same graph even

you can't plot i.sin(t) as its a complex number, you can decide an axis will represent the imaginary part of a complex number, but the plot command you give will be a scalar function

you can plot any scalar function, as said, examples of scalar function of a compelx variable are:
    - real part
    - imaginary part
    - magnitude
    - phase (arg)
  8. Apr 19, 2010 #7
    I thought of something Lanedance.

Since modulus for [tex]e^{it}[/tex] where [tex]0 \leq t \leq 2\pi[/tex] is one..

Then can't a plot of exp(it) as show in my file attachment. Don't know howto show something simular in Maple...

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook