Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Plotting the complex exp function in Maple?

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If we have [tex]y(x) = e^{i\cdot x}[/tex] where [tex]x\in [0,\pi][/tex]

How do I plot function in Maple? So it shows anything?

3. The attempt at a solution
    if I write

Code (Text):

plot(exp(I*x),x=0..Pi);

I get an empty coordinate system. Do I need to add some more code to get it to display properly?

Sincerely
    Susanne

p.s. I know [tex]e^{i\cdot t} = cos(t) + i \cdot sin(t)[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

what do you hope to see - note if you're trying to do a 2D plot have you thought through how you can even plot a complex function?

a 2D plot is generally a scalar function of a single variable

it might be better to plot the magnitude and phase or the real and imaginary parts which are each scalars so can be plotted in 2D against x

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    So what I do here is that I take the real part of complex exp function and plot it along the x-axis and imaginary part along the y-axis?

where cos(t) is real part and i*sin(t) the img part.

EDIT: I plot the real part cos(t) along the interval zero to Pi that gives the real Cosine function while the imaginary part along the same interval i*sin(t) me nothing.

Can that be right? because i*sin(0) = 0 and i*sin(Pi) =0.

So all in the plot of complex exp function along the interval [0,Pi] is simply the real cosine function?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

you have to decide what you want to plot... i can't tell you what it is you want to do...

but...if you have a complex number z = a + ib, then a & b are both scalars, a is the real part, & b is the imaginary part.

hence why you can't plot isin(x), that is still a complex number, to plot the imaginary part you just plot sin(t).

if you want x to vary in the interval and plot the real part of [itex] e^{ix} [/itex] along the y axis, and the imaginary part along the z axis. Then parametrically you would plot
    [tex] x(t) = t[/tex]
    [tex] y(t) = cos(t)[/tex]
    [tex] z(t) = sin(t)[/tex]

and the curve will look like part of a spiral with its central axis along the x axis

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    I may have a whole in my knowledge so please excuse me :) But the reason that I only need to plot the the scalars a and b of z= cos(t) + i*sin(t) is its impossible to view i*sin(t) as a point by itself graphically?

Why must I do a 3D plot? Can't I do a 2D plot?

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

once again you can do whatever you want, you just have to decide - you could plot both the real and imaginary part of the function as 2 separate curves in 2D... on the same graph even

you can't plot i.sin(t) as its a complex number, you can decide an axis will represent the imaginary part of a complex number, but the plot command you give will be a scalar function

you can plot any scalar function, as said, examples of scalar function of a compelx variable are:
    - real part
    - imaginary part
    - magnitude
    - phase (arg)

8. Apr 19, 2010 #7
    I thought of something Lanedance.

Since modulus for [tex]e^{it}[/tex] where [tex]0 \leq t \leq 2\pi[/tex] is one..

Then can't a plot of exp(it) as show in my file attachment. Don't know howto show something simular in Maple...

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook