Point charge electric field help find direction?

In summary: I guess it didn't affect my previous (magnitude) answer because the percent error was tiny (due to the enormity of the numbers). But now, with the direction, i guess that error was enough to mess it up. Thanks for bearing with me...in case you're curious, I got a final angle of 49.69 degrees .
awertag

Homework Statement

Ok i got the hard parts, a and b. For some reason I'm stuck on part c, the direction of the electric field.

Consider point a which is 70 cm north of a -4.2 µC point charge, and point b which is 76 cm west of the charge.

http://www.webassign.net/giancoli5/17_23alt.gif <------FIGURE

(a) Determine Vba = Vb - Va.
1Your answer is correct. V
(b) Determine Eb - Ea (note this is a vector minus a vector).
Magnitude
2Your answer is correct. N/C
Direction
3Your answer is incorrect.° (counterclockwise from east is positive)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried all the combinations of inverse tangent to try to get theta. Came up with 42.647 47.353 132.647 and 137.353...all wrong. What am I missing? Any good help is appreciated.
--aweg

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you just want to find the direction of the field? If so, draw the vectors for the field at a and for the field at b and add them tail to head. The direction of the field at a is the direction in which a positive charge placed at a will move in response to the field produced by Q.

AM

Last edited:
that's what i thought at first but I want the direction of Eb-Ea. I don't know if that's different than the direction of the E field?

awertag said:
that's what i thought at first but I want the direction of Eb-Ea. I don't know if that's different than the direction of the E field?

To determine [itex]\vec{E_b} - \vec{E_a}[/itex] draw the vectors for the field at a and for the field at b; then reverse the direction of the vector for the field at a (ie. multiply by -1); and then add them tail to head.

I think I see what your problem is. You seem to be using displacement vectors rather than vectors representing the magnitude of the field. You have to determine the magnitude of the field at a and at b (not the potential) and then draw vectors representing those field values. Give us the magnitude and directions of the vectors you get for Eb and Ea.

well for part b I had found that Ea=-77142.57 (south) and Eb=-62326.87 (west)

so then i added their i and j components, did pythag, and got 99174.892 N/C

does that help atall? I'm sorry, I just don't understand your directions :(

awertag said:
well for part b I had found that Ea=-77142.57 (south) and Eb=-62326.87 (west)
Show us how you get Eb = -62326.87 N/C. I get a different answer. I also get a different direction for Ea. Both fields are toward Q.

AM

really? well i know 62326.87 is right because i used it to get part b which was correct

awertag said:
really? well i know 62326.87 is right because i used it to get part b which was correct
So why not show us how you got it? I get:

Eb = kQ/r^2 = 9e9 x 4.2e-6/(.76)^2 = 37.8e3/.5776 = 6.544e4 N/C

AM

yeah i got 6.544e4 now as well. I guess it didn't affect my previous (magnitude) answer because the percent error was tiny (due to the enormity of the numbers). But now, with the direction, i guess that error was enough to mess it up. Thanks for bearing with me...in case you're curious, I got a final angle of 49.69 degrees . (with inverse tangent)

1. What is a point charge and how does it create an electric field?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is considered to be concentrated at a single point in space. It is an idealized model used to simplify calculations in electrostatics. A point charge creates an electric field by virtue of its charge, which exerts a force on any other charged object in its vicinity.

2. How do we calculate the electric field at a point due to a point charge?

The electric field at a point due to a point charge can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What is the direction of the electric field at a point due to a point charge?

The direction of the electric field at a point due to a point charge is always radially outward from the point charge if the charge is positive, and radially inward if the charge is negative. This means that the electric field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. How can we use the electric field to find the direction of a charged particle?

If a charged particle is placed in an electric field, it will experience a force in the direction of the electric field lines. The direction of the force can be used to determine the direction of the charged particle. For example, a positively charged particle will move in the direction of the electric field lines, while a negatively charged particle will move in the opposite direction.

5. Can the electric field direction change at different points around a point charge?

Yes, the electric field direction can change at different points around a point charge. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. As we move farther away from the point charge, the direction of the electric field may change due to the influence of other charges or external factors.