Point charge Exam review question

In summary, three charges of +171μC, q1, q2, and q3, are placed along a meter stick at the 12.1cm, 27.2cm, and 48.5cm marks respectively. To find the sign and magnitude of q3 such that the total electrical forces on q2 add to zero, Coulomb's law is used. By setting the electrostatic force of q1 on q2 equal to the electrostatic force of q3 on q2, and solving for the magnitude of q3, it is determined that q3 must be +340.25μC.
AnthroMecha

Homework Statement

Three charges are placed along a meter stick. One charge, q1, is placed at the 12.1cm mark. A second charge, q2, is placed at the 27.2cm mark. The third charge, q3, is placed at the 48.5cm mark. Charge q1 is equal to +171μC. What must be the sign and magnitude of charge q3 such that the total electrical forces on charge q2 add to zero?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried equating the Electrostatic force of q1 on q2 to the electrostatic force of q3 on q2, but I don't believe it came out right.

8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (171μC*q2/15.1^2)=-8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (q2*q3/21.3^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
AnthroMecha said:
I tried equating the Electrostatic force of q1 on q2 to the electrostatic force of q3 on q2, but I don't believe it came out right.

8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (171μC*q2/15.1^2)=-8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (q2*q3/21.3^2)
Looks like you have the right idea. What must the sign of q3 be?

Get rid of the minus sign in your equation, then solve for q3. Cancel everything that you can first.

I stared at a while and realized I can cancel q2 and 8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. I came up with q3= -340.25μC. I realized that the only way that the charges could balance out is if q3 is positive making the answer 340.25μC. Does this sound right?

AnthroMecha said:
I stared at a while and realized I can cancel q2 and 8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. I came up with q3= -340.25μC. I realized that the only way that the charges could balance out is if q3 is positive making the answer 340.25μC. Does this sound right?
Good. But get rid of the minus sign in your initial equation.

(The first thing you should do is determine the sign of the third charge. Then use your equation to find the magnitude of that charge.)

Yeah, the minus sign came from me setting it up like this:

8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (171μC*q2/15.1^2)+8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (q2*q3/21.3^2)=0.

I guess that q2 would be a negative charge, which I think would make the math correct. I'll have to keep an eye on that to make sure my answer is correct to the situation with regard to the sign!

Thanks for the help!

AnthroMecha said:
Yeah, the minus sign came from me setting it up like this:

8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (171μC*q2/15.1^2)+8.99 X 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 * (q2*q3/21.3^2)=0.
Yes, I know what you were trying to do. Setting F1 + F2 = 0 is the right idea, but you have to be careful when you write those forces in terms of the charges.

If you treat q3 as a positive charge, then the force it exerts on q2 (assumed positive) will be given by F2 = -kq2q3/d2, where the minus sign indicates that the force points to the left--opposite to the force from q1. Then when you set up your equation and solve for q3 you'll get a positive answer.

Personally, I would just set the magnitudes of the forces equal, and use that to solve for the magnitude of the charge. (You already know what the sign of the charges must be.)
I guess that q2 would be a negative charge, which I think would make the math correct. I'll have to keep an eye on that to make sure my answer is correct to the situation with regard to the sign!
No, it has nothing to do with q2. Remember, q2 dropped out.

Oh, ok. Solving for the magnitude does simplify things.

1. What is a point charge in physics?

A point charge is a hypothetical object that has a charge concentrated at a single point in space. It is used in physics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields.

2. How is the electric field of a point charge calculated?

The electric field of a point charge is calculated using the equation E=kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

3. What is the difference between a positive and a negative point charge?

A positive point charge has a higher concentration of positive charge at its point, while a negative point charge has a higher concentration of negative charge at its point. The direction of the electric field is also different for the two charges.

4. How does the distance from a point charge affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from a point charge increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance.

5. Can point charges exist in real life?

In theory, point charges can exist, but in reality, they are only approximations. In most cases, the charge is spread out over a finite area, making it impossible to have a true point charge. However, for certain calculations and simulations, point charges can be used as a simplification.