Point Charge on Semicircular Ring

In summary, we have a problem involving a point charge and a uniformly distributed charge along a semicircular ring. The goal is to find the value of the point charge Q such that the electric field at the origin is equal to zero. To solve this, we first use the formula for point charge to find Q, and then consider the E-field due to the ring by treating it as a line charge density. Finally, we combine the two E-fields and solve for Q.
Tater

Homework Statement

6ab1703a-9eb8-437e-98ca-897848a9c148.jpg

A point charge Q is located at point P(0,-4,0) while a 10nc charge is uniformly distributed along a semicircular ring as shown in the figure. find the value of Q such that E(0,0,0)=0

Homework Equations

Q=ρLdl
dl = ρd∅ (because ρ and z are constant)
E=[itex]\frac{Qρ}{4piεr^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so first I'd have to find Q using the formula above. I'd set my limits from 0 to pi.

Now looking at the formula for point charge, the only missing factor is R. I don't know how to express this. I know that the equation of a hemisphere is very similar to that of a circle. I came up with y=[itex]\sqrt{4-x^2}[/itex]. But now that I look at it, if I tried to convert that to polar using the relationships x=rcos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] and y=rsin[itex]\vartheta[/itex], it really seems wrong.

What's the best procedure in doing this? What should I say to myself every time I see a ring? Because to be honest, I really get confused when I see an odd figure labeled in terms of (x,y,z) even though it's much easier in another system.

Also, after finding R, I simply just stick to the formula and I will obtain my solution, right?

Thank you for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
First off you want to treat each case separately. By symmetry of the problem we know that the E-field will only be in the y-direction. Since the charge is distributed uniformly along the arc, you can deal with it as a line charge density which is what you did:
[itex]dQ_1=\rho_l(\rho d\phi)[/itex] now integrating that out you can get the line charge density in terms of [itex]Q_1[/itex] (which you'll want in the end).

So setting up the integral for the E-field:
Since your r is constant (r=2) you'll only be integrating over the angular change.
[itex]dE_y=\frac{\rho_l}{2\pi\epsilon_or}sin\phi d\phi[/itex]

Integrating that out should give you the E-field in the y-direction due to the hemisphere.

The point charge is just the E-field due to a point charge which is:
[itex]E = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_oR^2}[/itex] where Q is the charge you're solving for and R is the distance to the charge.

The total E-field:
[itex]E_t = E_{ring}-E_{charge}[/itex] and just solve for Q.

Hope this helps.

Related to Point Charge on Semicircular Ring

1. What is a point charge on a semicircular ring?

A point charge on a semicircular ring is a physics concept that involves a point charge, or a charged particle with negligible size, placed on the edge of a semicircular ring. The charge can either be positive or negative, and it interacts with the electric field created by the ring.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a point charge on a semicircular ring?

The electric field at any point in space due to a point charge on a semicircular ring can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the point in space.

3. What is the difference between a point charge on a semicircular ring and a point charge on a full circular ring?

The main difference is the shape of the ring. A semicircular ring has a half-circular shape, while a full circular ring has a complete circular shape. This difference affects the electric field, as the field is stronger near the edges of the semicircular ring compared to a full circular ring.

4. How does the placement of the point charge affect the electric field on a semicircular ring?

The placement of the point charge on the semicircular ring affects the direction and magnitude of the electric field. If the charge is placed at the center of the semicircular ring, the electric field will be directed perpendicular to the ring. However, if the charge is placed on the edge of the ring, the electric field will be directed at an angle towards the center of the ring.

5. What are some real-world applications of a point charge on a semicircular ring?

A point charge on a semicircular ring can be used to model the behavior of electric charges in a variety of systems, such as antennas and sensors. It can also be used in particle accelerators to control the path of charged particles. Additionally, the concept of a point charge on a semicircular ring is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields in more complex systems.